No announcement yet.

Migration plug-in install question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration plug-in install question

Anyone know when a good time to install those is? I need to install Symantec Mail Security for Exchange and GFI Mail Essentials on our new 2010 SP1 server and I am just about done moving mailboxes.

Re: Migration plug-in install question

if you even choose to.. (sembee in particular is pretty anti-AV on mail servers)

however, in the evenings, when noone needs th server. so it can reboot
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Wouldn't catch me installing Symantec's excuse for an AV product on to any Exchange servers. GFI ME isn't bad. Personally I would put GFI Mail Security on there as well, particularly if you have Symantec everywhere else - then you might have a chance of catching something.

I am not completely against AV on Exchange servers, just as long as it is configured correctly and isn't made by Symantec.

Although all the time Symantec keep creating crap products that uses more resources than Exchange, it keeps me in business. I have picked up many clients where Symantec has caused a significant performance hit on Exchange. Saved them money as well!

If you must install it, do so out of hours and then reboot immediately. Then say bye bye to the spare resources.

Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
      Exchange Resources List:
      In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

ok, that's good to know... then I guess I will wait till I am done to do the installation to make troubleshooting easier.

we both on the same server one for A/V (Symantec) and the other for spam filtering (GFI).

thanks again!