Log files and Db's on same drive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log files and Db's on same drive

I'm going to rebuild a DL 380 G5 to incorporate a raid 10 (raid1+0) logical drive. It's for an Exchange 2007 server that has experienced two disk crashes in the last 3 months.

I'll leave the 2 x 72gb drives as the mirrored C: drive and will move all the logfiles and exchange db's onto an external disk (about 800gb) (150 users)

I intend to store the logfiles and db's on the newly created raid 10 drive which wil use 6 x 300GB SAS drives, whcih should give me the 800Gb of disk space required.

I'm aware that you shouldn't really store logfiles and db's on the same drive but my only alternative would be to have another mirrored pair for the logs and then create a raid 5 with the remaining 4 disks to accomodate the current db's.

Any recommendations?

Re: Log files and Db's on same drive

The obvious:
    RAID 1 OS
    RAID 1 Logs (2 x 300) = 300Gb
    RAID 5 Data (4 x 300) = 900Gb
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sorry to keep crapping all over your threads... :P

But - you mention the disk infrastructure has failed twice recently. What are you doing to evaluate/resolve the root cause?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

An alternative might be:

OS = RAID 1 (2x72)
        Databases = RAID 10 (4x600)
        Logs = RAID 1 (2x600)

That only gives you 600GB for the databases but will perform much better than RAID 5.

Comment

Interesting point, you are suggesting that perhaps the Smart Array P400 may be at fault?

There have been no errors messages in that respect and I just accepted the fact that HP disks fail. They are over 3 years old and once I get the system fully raided (as it should have been in the first place but the client did not want to spend the extra money) then if I do get another failure I will contact HP Support now that we also now have a carepak for it.

Comment

That's the problem, I have to accomodate 800gb of db's. I'm sure raid10 would be better but raid 5 will have to do in this instance especially as it seems that I shouldn't mix the logs and db's on the same drives.

Comment

not neccessarily the array controller- my point is more that.. if you've had to rebuild the array that regularly, then something must be amis..
              Last edited by tehcamel; 9th June 2011, 09:51.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X