Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internal emails stuck in mail queue after migration

hi guys,

I've been testing an exchange 2003->2010 migration in my lab. everything goes smoothly till the mailbox move stage. I did some testing after I migrated a couple of mailboxes. I noticed that the emails sent from the newly migrated mailboxes (on 2010) were not getting to the legacy mailboxes (still on 2003). I tried both newly migrated mailboxes to send email to mailboxes on legacy sever but all email are getting queued up on the server. I cannot see any error message on queue viewer as well. so in brief:
    - userA and UserB successfully migrated on new exchange 2010 server (mailbox moved)
    - userX and userY are still on legacy exchange 2003 server
    - userX and userY can send email to each other and userA/userB
    - userA and userB can ONLY send emails to each other (all emails to userX/userY are getting stuck in the queue)

what could be the problem here? I'm not sure what is wrong here. any help would be really appreciated.

Re: internal emails stuck in mail queue after migration

Sounds like a problem with the automatically created routing group connector between Exchange 2003 and 2010.

At first I would delete them and recreate them manually with the corrrect settings.

Make sure that both Exchange servers are able to telnet eachother on port 25 and name resolution is working.

Comment

thanks for your reply. I was away since I posted it and got back today. Basically I've already tried re-creating bi-directional and uni-directional connectors but didn't have any luck. Telnet works ok & no DNS issues. This is the message i'm getting when I check the messages in the queue:

"451 5.7.3 Cannot achieve Exchange Server authentication." Attempted failover to alternate host, but that did not succeed."

I'm pulling my hairs over it. I've checked various articles & threads over technet but nothing seems to be helping. I have 'integrated authentication' enabled. I also tried playing with TLS settings but nothing helped. I'd really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.

Comment

Have you created additional receive connector(-s) at E2010 or modified the default one?

Edit: Ok, just reread you original post, you only have problems sending from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2003, so receive connectors on Exchange 2010 does not play any role in that problem.

How are the authentication settings on the Default SMTP server in 2003, is "Integrated Windows Authentication" checked? Since TLS is still not working from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2003 make sure "Require secure channel" is also not checked on the Exchange 2003 box.
        Last edited by FischFra; 15th June 2011, 08:52.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
          Have you created additional receive connector(-s) at E2010 or modified the default one?

Edit: Ok, just reread you original post, you only have problems sending from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2003, so receive connectors on Exchange 2010 does not play any role in that problem.

How are the authentication settings on the Default SMTP server in 2003, is "Integrated Windows Authentication" checked? Since TLS is still not working from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2003 make sure "Require secure channel" is also not checked on the Exchange 2003 box.
          Yes, Integration authentication is enabled with TLS disabled at exchange 2003 SMTP connector. I'm getting a feeling that it is something simple but don't know what it is. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me.

Comment

I checked the mailflow using mail marshal on the exchange 2003 server. I noticed that mail-marshal opens a connection but the exchange2010 server drops the connection without sending any data. This is the explanation of logs:

- 0220 00:32:34.081 TX: <220 mail.xxx.com ESMTP MailMarshal (v6.4.1.503 Ready> meaning it was ready to recieve a message.

- The exchange 2010 server sends a reply: EHLO EXG2010.xxx.com> which simply is identifying its hostname.

- Exchange 2003 server then transmits (TX) the helo name back, TX: <250 mail.xxx.com Hello EXG2010.xxx.com
            250 SIZE> this is a confirmation from 2003 server and it asks for a size of the message coming from the 2010 server.

- Then 2003 server receives (RX) 0220 00:32:34.081 RX: <QUIT> from the exchange 2010 mail server and closes the connection.

It wouldn't be caused by mail-marshal on the existing system otherwise it would come up on the log as to why mail-marshal didn't accept the connection. The connection is dropped by the exchange 2010 server. I'm not sure why it is doing that. I have checked the settings on our send connector and re-created it already a few times but it didn't help.
            Another thing to look for is the routing group connector. I've deleted the default connectors and re-created using EMS but that didn't help either. Where can i find server authentication settings on exchange 2010 and exchange 2003? I'd really appreciate your help guys.

Comment

I figured it out myself. I changed the Mail-Marshal port from default 25 and assigned it to exchange server and it worked perfectly. For those who are interested, Microsoft uses a different format for mail communication if you are using routing groups between exchange 2010 and 2003. This format allows compression and is not supported by any of the 3rd party mail-gateway/proxy servers. So if you have any such product sitting on your exchange 2010 or 2003 server it will affect the mail flow between those servers. The workaround is to move that 3rd party component to a different box altogether and setup relay in between. I hope it helps somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyleo_EA View Post

- 0220 00:32:34.081 TX: <220 mail.xxx.com ESMTP MailMarshal (v6.4.1.503 Ready> meaning it was ready to recieve a message.

If you had written this in your first post, I bet the help would have arrived much quicker, anyway glad you figured it out.

Comment

Mate. Thank you. I'm having the same issue with MailMarshall.
                  Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                  X