Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Exchange 2007 Server (software and hardware)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Exchange 2007 Server (software and hardware)

hi guys,

From you past experience, what hardware will I need for a server that would hold Exchange 2007 with ~150 mailboxes (maximum mailbox size would be 400 MB).

Also I'm not sure about the licensing part...

I'm asking this as this is my first task in creating something, and not just administering it.

Thanks !

Re: New Exchange 2007 Server (software and hardware)

You can't just say "exchange with 150 mailboxes"

do you have a need for redundancy? What about tiered storage?
    are your users spread across multiple sites?
    how many users do you expect the environment to grow by?

you need to have way more information than just "150 users"
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

Redundancy (if you refer to a cluster) is not needed.
      Most users are located centrally (only ~5% access via VPN).
      Future groath should be no more than 250 mailboxes.

Feel free to ask anything cause, as I said, I lack the experience in doing this.

Comment

run on 250GB of space required just for data stores (250 users, 1GB each. I know you said 400Mb, but I like to add fat.)

no less than 16GB RAM, 2 quad core CPUs.

Alot of people beleive in splitting OS, Logs and Database, so you need at least 3 RAID disk groups. (minimum of 6 disks then)

I'd be more inclined to go with:
        RAID1 ; RAID5 ; RAID5

depending on whether you go for a multi-server environment, you need to decide which roles go on where.
        Let's assume a single server: you need Client Access (CAS), Mailbox (MBX) and Hub/Transport (HT)

In terms of licensing, you need an OS licence, you need an Exchange licence, and you need a Client Access Licence, for each user.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Why are you wanting an obsolete product (Exchange 2007) when a far superior one (Exchange 2010) is available?
          You gain:
          DAGs for easy redundancy later
          Much better OWA
          Granular security
          Archive Mailboxes...

Also I suggest you review your mailbox sizes -- 400Mb is pretty small.
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Why are you wanting an obsolete product (Exchange 2007) when a far superior one (Exchange 2010) is available?
            You gain:
            DAGs for easy redundancy later
            Much better OWA
            Granular security
            Archive Mailboxes...

Also I suggest you review your mailbox sizes -- 400Mb is pretty small.
            I'm going for 2007 cause I have no experience with Exchange 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              run on 250GB of space required just for data stores (250 users, 1GB each. I know you said 400Mb, but I like to add fat.)

no less than 16GB RAM, 2 quad core CPUs.

Alot of people beleive in splitting OS, Logs and Database, so you need at least 3 RAID disk groups. (minimum of 6 disks then)

I'd be more inclined to go with:
              RAID1 ; RAID5 ; RAID5

depending on whether you go for a multi-server environment, you need to decide which roles go on where.
              Let's assume a single server: you need Client Access (CAS), Mailbox (MBX) and Hub/Transport (HT)

In terms of licensing, you need an OS licence, you need an Exchange licence, and you need a Client Access Licence, for each user.
              so basically an HP ProLiant DL360 G7 but with 8*250 would be enough...(if it's considered I'm broking some rules by posting a brand here please let me know so that I can remove it).
              RAID 1 for OS and RAID 5 for logs and DB ?

Comment

potentially
                although remember to take disk speeds into consideration.

I would also probably echo ossian -Ex10 is far superior.. and if you're used to admining Ex07, wouldn't be massively different

(queue Sembee coming to tell me where I'm wrong)

Comment

So a hardware like one above should be enough for my needs ?
                  What backup type and software do you suggest ?

Comment

One that is exchange aware (BackupExec, BackupAssist...)
                    If it isnt you are left with zillions of log files

Beyond that, it depends on your backup frequencies, retention periods, SLAs, maintenance windows and any other factors.

Seriously, hire a good consultant to analyse your current infrastructure and requirements and at least plan, if not implement, the migration
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I won't do the migration myself (I don't have the experience/knoledge for this). I just want to aproximate the amount of money involved in this. If it profitable for us, of course a professional will do this.

Comment

The change from Exchange 2007 to 2010 is not as huge as the change from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 or higher. There are some differences, but if you have solid experience in 2007 then those skills will move across to 2010 easily.

I wouldn't dream of putting a new server with new licences at 2007 level. You immediately take 3 or 4 years off its useful life with support from Microsoft. Only if licences are already owned do I do Exchange 2007 deployments.

Microsoft have provided resources on how to scale Exchange 2010, including calculators and some overview of the typical hardware required. That will give you a good start.

The same rules apply as with other versions - storage, storage, storage. The most gains are from money spent on Storage. Then RAM then processor.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

In the end decided that hosting our mail service to a 3rd party is the best option (especally that we got a good deal).
                          Thanks all for support.

/closed.

Comment

Working...
                          X