Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

    Hello, few of my users use pop3 for their emails.

    Unfortunately they cannot send e-mails to external users. Sending to internal users works fine. If i don't use authentication

    If i use "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" or try to log on using username & password or domain\username & password the error is "Send test e-mail message: Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings."

    The error is the same if i check "Require SPA"

    So i cannot figure that out why outlook cannot authenticate to exchange 2010.

    What i miss?

    I don't want to create another receive connector allowing anonymous relay.

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

    You can't use the setting for same usernames and passwords as incoming, because it is required in a different format. You have to change the setting to use specific credentials and enter them in the format of domain\username.

    Furthermore, by default the "Default" Receive Connector isn't designed for use with POP3 clients, you should use the Client connector which is SSL secured and uses a different port - you can change that in your POP3 client for the outbound port.

    Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

    Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

    Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

      Originally posted by Sembee View Post
      You can't use the setting for same usernames and passwords as incoming, because it is required in a different format. You have to change the setting to use specific credentials and enter them in the format of domain\username.

      Furthermore, by default the "Default" Receive Connector isn't designed for use with POP3 clients, you should use the Client connector which is SSL secured and uses a different port - you can change that in your POP3 client for the outbound port.

      Simon.

      From where to change this "You have to change the setting to use specific credentials and enter them in the format of domain\username" ?


      Also i has one user with exactly same settings like others, with "Use same settings as my incoming mail server" he sends mail without any problems. This further confuses me. I check the mailbox properties and user account properties and the are the same.
      Last edited by lg911; 17th May 2011, 15:40.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

        As you haven't said what POP3 client you are using it is impossible to say. I don't use POP3 unless I have no other choice at all, and then under protest.

        Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

        Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

        Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

          Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          As you haven't said what POP3 client you are using it is impossible to say. I don't use POP3 unless I have no other choice at all, and then under protest.

          Simon.

          We use, outlook express, outlook 2003, 2007

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

            Why are you using POP3 with Outlook 2003 and 2007? Ideally you should be using Outlook Anywhere. POP3 should be the last protocol of choice, when all other options have been exhausted. If you are going to run POP3 clients then you are throwing away 90% of the functionality of Exchange.

            The settings to change the authentication are on the outbound server configuration from memory. I haven't looked at Outlook/Outlook Express for POP3 for many years.

            Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

            Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

            Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

              Originally posted by Sembee View Post
              Why are you using POP3 with Outlook 2003 and 2007? Ideally you should be using Outlook Anywhere. POP3 should be the last protocol of choice, when all other options have been exhausted. If you are going to run POP3 clients then you are throwing away 90% of the functionality of Exchange.

              The settings to change the authentication are on the outbound server configuration from memory. I haven't looked at Outlook/Outlook Express for POP3 for many years.

              Simon.

              Some of my users use outlook express. Other one must send emails from another mailboxes. Easiest way is to add second pop3 account because outlook not allow 2 exchange accounts. Anyway i will try Outlook Anywhere.

              I think that my problem is something with authentication. Because today till i trying to solve the problem. Somehow from my computer with "windows live mail" The computer start to sending without any problems. So i immediately try with Outlook 2010. But the problem was present. The situation was strange. Same pc, 2 different mail clients with the same settings, one works another not.

              I reboot my pc and "windows live mail" stop working. So i think there is some problem with authentication but cannot find what is it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

                Outlook 2010 allows multiple Exchange accounts in different forests.
                Older versions of Outlook allow multiple accounts in the same forest.

                Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

                Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

                Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

                  Originally posted by Sembee View Post
                  Outlook 2010 allows multiple Exchange accounts in different forests.
                  Older versions of Outlook allow multiple accounts in the same forest.

                  Simon.

                  Yes you are able to add as many mailboxes as you like. But can you send emails from them. But don't using on behalf of... ?



                  edit// I finally solved the issue. The problem was in default receive connector. Authentication mechanisms available must be only basic and integrated windows authentication.
                  Last edited by lg911; 19th May 2011, 14:46.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Unable to relay (exchange 2010) authentication issue

                    If you have Send As permissions you can send as the account. I do it all the time. Send As is different to Send on Behalf of.

                    Simon.
                    --
                    Simon Butler
                    Exchange MVP

                    Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

                    Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X