Exchange 2007 not sending or receiving any emails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 not sending or receiving any emails

I'll tell you right off the bat, I am not an Exchange expert at all so be patient.

Problem: I can log in to my accounts via OWA or outlook 2007 and I can also send emails to accounts in my organization, such as an administrator account. What I can't do is send an email to any external account such as a yahoo mail account, gmail account, etc. I also cannot receive emails from external accounts.

I have searched through the forums and nothing has worked for me. No problems with ports because I have DMZ enabled. You can also obviously access OWA with no problems by going to my url (note, my certificates arent sorted out yet).

I have setup up accepted domain under hub transport for yahoo mail and gmail. I have also attempted to set up send/receive connectors also in hub transport.

I don't know what other information I can provide for you to help figure out my problem. Also, this is a Server 2003 Enterprise system.

In DNS i have created a MX host too.

-bsmith
    SPMLD114 Network Admin

Re: Exchange 2007 not sending or receiving any emails

WHat error messages do you get when you send external mail?
    What error does the external address get when they try sending to you?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Im not home at the moment so I can't copy and paste the error message from outlook 2007. And now that I have restarted my server, when I go to my OWA URL, it says OWA cannot initialize and a log has been created so the administrator can resolve the problem but i'm not at home to see the log.

Any help on the new problem?

EDIT: "Outlook Web Access did not initialize. An event has been logged so that the system administrator can resolve the issue. Please contact technical support for your organization.
      Failed to access the Active Directory configuration settings for virtual directory "owa" under web site "spmld114.dyndns.biz"."
      Last edited by bsmith; 15th May 2011, 19:13.

Comment

Sembee will be along soon to give a definitive answer, but it appears there is a mismatch between internal and external naming. From the last post you appear to be using dynamic DNS to access your Exchange server, which is normally a big no-no for receiving mail from you (too many spammers).

Can you give us full details about your infrastructure to allow a more informed answer?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Running Exchange on a dynamic IP address isn't a problem, as long as attention is paid to the configuration.

However many ISPs on dynamic IP addresses will block port 25 inbound and/or outbound.

You don't have to create Receive Connectors - the default ones are fine. You just need to enable Anonymous on the Default connector. However do check whether you can then telnet in to port 25 from outside, or use one of the many tools to verify.

For outbound email, if you are indeed on a dynamic IP address, then your Send Connector will need to be configured with a smart host - usually your ISPs SMTP server. A send connector is required, but you have various options for routing the email.

You can only use direct delivery if you are on a static IP address and have asked the ISP to set a PTR (aka reverse DNS) on the IP address that resolves to the same IP address.

http://exchange.sembee.info/network/dnsconfig.asp

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I have gotten my ISP (Time Warner) to unblock all ports and set up a DMZ host to my linksys router which then the linksys router has a DMZ to my servers. I have already gotten the OWA not initializing problem sorted out so dont worry about that.

I have remote assistance set up so if any of you experts would like, i can send you a invitation so you can get a first-hand look.

I believe i have DNS set up correctly though. I have a host set up for the sever and a MX hostname (mail.spmld114.dyndns.biz) set up in my DNS server. I almost have a feeling that is my dyndns service thats causing the problem, but i am certainly no expert. I do have a static external ip address though because to my knowledge, it has always been the same exact ip. I don't have buissness class internet or anything so they may very well block port 25 but I have asked them to unblock it and I have proof that they have unblocked it.

I should also let you know that I have done all the Microsoft virtual labs involving Exchange server 2007. This doesn't mean i'm a expert, but I know that I did install exchange right.

Do you guys have any suggestions based on the info I have provided you now? Or what other things do you need to know about my network?
            Last edited by bsmith; 18th May 2011, 01:30.

Comment

Working...
            X