No announcement yet.

New Exchange 2010 Server Build

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Exchange 2010 Server Build

I'm about to build a new Exchange 2010 server on a HP DL360 G5 for our current domain, we already have a existing Exchange 2007 server. I was wondering what would be the best configuration of the disks.

I was planning to go with 2 x 146GB mirrored drives Windows Systems
    2 x 146GB mirrored drives for the logfiles/system files
    4 x 300GBdisks (no redundancy) for the databases.

The server will be protected by a backupexec server 2010, LCR not used.

I ask because I have had quite a few of ther HP SAS disks fail and Im wondering whether to create a Raid 5 with the 300GB disks and have the DB's stored there.

Thanks in advance

Re: New Exchange 2010 Server Build

IMHO RAIDing your data is an absolute requirement
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

i think the critical question here is:

If your disks fail, resulting in a catastrophic failure of the databases, is it going to be a big problem?

If it's not, then sure, use a non-redundant array.
      If it's going to be a problem, then use redundancy.

I actually find it hard to beleive this is a serious question.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

I know, is it April 1st again?

Storage is cheap, and even if it wasn't RAID is necessary. And you definitely won't be using LCR, cos it's deprecated in Exchange 2010, you use DAGs now.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        Cruachan's Blog

The configuration makes no sense unless you have multiple servers. Hard disks fail - it is just a matter of when. Even my home systems are all on RAID arrays.

In the event of a failure, you will have to restore from a backup, then replay the transaction logs, and hope the backup was good. It is very common for the backup to report that it was successful, but when it comes to restore, it fails. A backup should be what you use as a last resort, in this configuration it would be your ONLY option because you haven't configured the server appropriately.

You have said yourself that you have had drives fail, so why are you even contemplating this configuration?

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Thanks for the responses. I thought Raid 5 would cause some performance issues but I agree having the system fully redundant would be better.

Perhaps I should have phrased the original question slightly differently.

Use 6 disks, 300 GB RAID 1+0.
              You have nothing to loose