No announcement yet.

Mobile Exchange

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Exchange

I've got a client that may be operating a mobile Exchange environment (boat with 100+ crew). They will also have an office on land.

They will have internet on board, but it may be slow at times and in the name of keeping bandwidth usage down, I am thinking about putting an Exchange server onboard. What would be best? Single domain, Exchange 2010 on both the boat and shore, and let Exchange just figure out where to send emails based on the mailbox server the users are on?

I'll have a VPN up between the 2 'sites', but I don't want the thing to fall flat on its face if the internet is unavailable for an extended period of time (2-3 days for example, weeks maybe?). How would accessing mailboxes work for employees that are out of the office? Public facing CAS server at the office, and if a crew member tries to log-in from home it would pull the data over the VPN? Obviously part of the idea here is that even if internet is completely down on the boat, local emails still get delivered.

Any thoughts?

Re: Mobile Exchange

What you have outlined is how it would work.
    If someone is on shore leave you might want to consider moving their mailbox back.

Exchange will not fall over completely if the servers are disconnected for extended periods of time, although it isn't something I would recommend. You will need to increase various timeouts to ensure that content is delivered. Exchange will only try for 48 hours by default.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.