No announcement yet.

2010 Catch All (despite better judgement)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Catch All (despite better judgement)

Hi there,

I have a client who we are migrating from SBS 2003 -> SBS 2011

In Exchange 2003 they currently have it set up so that all mail addressed to invalid recipients goes to "[email protected]"

I normally don't like catchall mailboxes, however they want it set up. The Exchange server isn't directly exposed to the Internet and runs through a spam filtering relay so hopefully most spam will get killed before it gets through.

So far, I have tried a transport rule as follows:

Apply rule to messages
    from users that are 'Outside the orgranization'
    redirect the message to [email protected]'

The bit I am having trouble with is the exception. If I use "except when the message is sent to a member of" and set it to "All Users" then the rule does nothing and mail with bad addresses gets bounced. If I set it to the domain universal distribution list then absolutely everything gets copied to the catchall mailbox, even messages for valid users.

I have disabled recipient checking on the hub transport anti-spam section.

The technet article says to manually exclude each email address which is a logistical nightmare. Not to mention it is easy for first level support to forget when they deal with many clients.

So, anyone know of a simple exclusion that works?

Re: 2010 Catch All (despite better judgement)

Ok, I binned off the Transport Rule and installed this. It was written for 2007 but works for 2010 as long as you use the right paths

This link gives the revision needed to make it work in 2010, although it is slightly wrong as it misses out V14 in the path.

In this case, it was save the files to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\catchall" and run this from the shell after editing the config file:

install-transportagent -Name "CatchAll Agent"  -TransportAgentFactory:CatchAll.CatchAllFactory  -AssemblyPath:"C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange  Server\V14\TransportRoles\agents\catchall\CatchAllAgent.dll"

Re: 2010 Catch All (despite better judgement)

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you. Unfortunately, I installed the CatchAll rule and am getting emails bouncing back:
      #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; not found ##
      The Catchall agent is both enabled and has a lower number/higher priority than the Recipient Filtering agent. I verified the information in the .xml file that it matches the account and domain. I also double-checked and verified that the reply email address for the catchall email address is correct.

Anyone have a suggestion?