Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few problems after exchange 2003 to 2010 migration

Hello everybody.

I'm almost finishing my exchange 2003 to 2010 migration but few problems came up.

1. When some mailboxes are moved to 2010 they just left some massages on the old server. The mailbox actually is on new server and works fine. If i try to purge the old mailbox from exchange system manager on 2003. It says that cannot be performed because this mailbox is already reconnected to existing user.
    I fear that the old server will not want to uninstall because of them.

2. Two users so far start to receive absolutely blank emails, both from external and internal senders. So i try to delete the mailboxes and create it again. That fix the problem.

3. But cause another problem, exactly same users that i delete their mailboxes because of blank emails. Now experiencing the following problem:
    Some domain users cannot send to them (There is no problem with external senders). The massages are return with this error:

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

[email protected]
    The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Check the address and try resending the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: server.domain.local

IMCEAEX-_O=Domain.local_OU=First+20Administrative+20Group_ [email protected]
    #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

Original message headers:

Received: from server.domain.local ([fe80::d1f5:4e4:bfb1:2af7]) by
    server.domain.local ([fe80::d1f5:4e4:bfb1:2af7%10]) with mapi; Wed, 11 May
    2011 13:35:25 +0300
    Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: FW: BIZCOM EUROPE Payment reminder
    Thread-Topic: BIZCOM EUROPE Payment reminder
    Thread-Index: AQHMD6FR3XsylWB+7EK0dpfevGJV4ZSHWQEAgAAV9hA=
    Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 13:35:26 +0300
    Message-ID: <4842049B95A1C14CA4C7F5D9D47B2EBE024[email protected]>
    Accept-Language: bg-BG, en-US
    Content-Language: en-US
    X-MS-Has-Attach:
    X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <[email protected] in.local>
    MIME-Version: 1.0

After that i notice that those mailboxes are in disconnected mailboxes, I deleted them from exchange managment shell.
    Rebuild the GAL also.

I also try with adding as X500 email address the value in legacyexchangeID parameter of those users taken from ADSI edit.

I notice also that those mailboxes have different icons in the recipient configuration > mailbox
    Others are with green arrows, those 2 are with blue person.
    If you try send mail to those users alias email addresses there is no problem.

But otherwise i think that the system is still trying to send that massage to the old mailbox location on the old server.

4. I was forward smtp port in my router to local ip of old 2003 exchange server (it has only internal interface). And there is no problem it can be reached from outside.
    But if i redirect port forwarding to my 2010 internal interface ip it cannot be reached. I cannot figure that out why?
    Also there is no problem if i try directly to external interface or from another internal computer.

I will be very glad if someone can help me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by lg911; 11th May 2011, 19:29.

Re: Few problems after exchange 2003 to 2010 migration

Nothing you have posted is unusual.

The mailboxes on the old server is quite common. It doesn't mean the mailbox is on the old serer, that is usually corrupt or invalid content. Not much you can do about it - it will not stop you from removing Exchange 2003. If you get an error about mailboxes on the old server when it comes to removing Exchange those are NOT the cause of it.

Blank emails are often caused by interference in the email flow. AV is the primary cause. They damage the email or block it in certain ways. Therefore you should ensure that any AV is configured correctly.

For inbound email on Exchange 2010 you need to ensure that the Default Receive connector has anonymous enabled on it. If it does not, enable it and then restart the Transport store.

With regards to user recreation, when you recreate a user, they usually are not identical to the old mailbox. Exchange doesn't use SMTP internally, it has its own reference, and that is broken by mailbox/account recreation.
    The better option is to create a new account, move the content and then forward the old account to the new mailbox, and hide the old account from the GAL. That way all internal email sent using the old account (and replied to) will be caught correctly. Makes no difference on licencing of Exchange, as that is per seat, not per mailbox.

Simon.
    --
    Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Re: Few problems after exchange 2003 to 2010 migration

You might also find with 3) that the users have old addresses in their autocomplete entries which don't point to the new mailbox details.

Comment

Working...
      X