No announcement yet.

Restore Exchange 2003 mailbox on Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore Exchange 2003 mailbox on Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011)

First, I am not sure whther this should be in Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2003 forum, so I will start here...

I just upgraded a server from SBS 2003 to SBS 2011 (same hardware). Most of it went well, but I seem to have one issue. Since I only have a couple users, I used Exmerge to get the mailbox data from the old server which I planned to import to the new one. The problem is that I did nto realize the 2 GB max size, and one of the mailbox pst files will not open, so I am left without those messages.

I do have a backup from the SBS2003 (NTBackup) though. Is it possible to get the data from that somehow, and get it into SBS 2011?

If necessary, I can install SBS 2003 on another machine, and restore the backup onto it, then use Outlook to export the mailbox. Is there an easier way, and if not, does this approach make sense?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Re: Restore Exchange 2003 mailbox on Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011)

You can't restore data from an older version of Exchange in to the new version. Therefore you will have to build an exact replica of the original server.

And by exact, the key issues are the name of the server and the name of the Exchange Organisation. Only then you will be able to get the old databases to mount.

Otherwise there are various tools that can extract the information from the RAW files. They aren't cheap (there are no free options), but it will not require an additional server.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Restore Exchange 2003 mailbox on Exchange 2010 (SBS 2011)

Thank you for the reply. I guess I will get out my old disks and get to work!