Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decommissioning Exchange Server 2003

Hi All,

I wonder what is the final or proper steps that you need to do in order to successfully decommission the old Exchange Server 2003 from AD ?

at the moment I have successfully migrated Exchange Server 2003 into 2007 and mail is working fine.

However when I run Get-ExchangeServer it is still there but without role assigned

here's the result that I mean:

Code:
    Name                      Site                         ServerRole                 Edition    AdminDisplayVersion                       
    ----                      ----                         ----------                 -------    -------------------                       
    Exchange07P01             None                       Enterprise Version 6.5 (Build 7638.2: Service Pack 2)
    Exchange07P02             None                       Enterprise Version 6.5 (Build 7638.2: Service Pack 2)
    Exchange07P02-VM COMPANY-City1                       ClientAccess, HubTransport Enterprise Version 8.1 (Build 240.6)                 
    Exchange07P03-VM COMPANY-City1                       ClientAccess, HubTransport Enterprise Version 8.1 (Build 240.6)                 
    Exchange07R02-VM COMPANY-DRSite-City2                ClientAccess, HubTransport Enterprise Version 8.1 (Build 240.6)                 
    Excluster01   COMPANY-City1-City1                     Mailbox             Enterprise Version 8.1 (Build 240.6)

Re: Decommissioning Exchange Server 2003

With the cmdlet you will not see a role because for Exchange 2007 Exchange 2003 have no roles.

The proper way to remove Exchange 2003 is to use the installation routine and select deinstall.

If this is not working for some reasons there is also a possibility to remove them manually.

Comment

Thanks Fisch, that sounds make sense after all.
      But is there any roll back plan if in case I uninstall the exchange server 2003 and somehow it breaks the mail flow ?

Comment

I would not think about a way to role this back because the final goal is to remove Exchange 2003. This would be either deinstalling it with the setup routine or if this fails just remove them manually.

If all components are migrated there should be no reason that mail routing or anything else is broke.

Comment

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...CHG.80%29.aspx

The articles on Decomissioning are pretty good. Make sure you re-point all your firewall rules to the Exchange 2007 server for inbound SMTP, OWA etc once you're done. IIRC you have TMG, so make sure that the new server's IP address is allowed to send outbound SMTP as well.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X