No announcement yet.

unable to merge a deleted mailbox

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to merge a deleted mailbox

Here is the situation:
    Back in December, a contract was terminated, and someone in the IT department deleted the mailbox for that user, but disabled the account in the AD.
    in March, the user came to work with us again, and he needed his mailbox back.
    As I had not been made aware of that situation, i recreated his mailbox, and he started working.

A few days later, he came to see me to try and get his old emails back. As the person who deleted his mailbox did not make a backup on PST, i have to restore from the tapes.
    So far so good. the DB is in the storage group, and it seems fine.

But when I try to merge, i always get an error that the mailbox does not exist.

I have tried with the GUI and using different commands from the shell.

We are using Exchange 2007 SP1, on a W2008 STD 64B

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Restore-Mailbox -Identity "jp" -RSGDatabase "Recovery Storage Group\DATABASE" -RSGMailbox "deleted mailbox" -BadItemLimit 100 -GlobalCatalog ""

cmdlet Restore-Mailbox at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    TargetFolder: test

Are you sure you want to perform this action?
    Recovering mailbox content from the mailbox 'deleted mailbox' in the recovery
    database 'SERVER\Recovery Storage Group\DATABASE' into the
    mailbox for 'jp restore ([email protected])'. The operation can take a long time to
    [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [S] Suspend [?] Help
    (default is "Y"):Y
    Restore-Mailbox : Error was found for jp restore ([email protected]) because: Error occurred in the step: Opening source mailbox. Failed to open mailbox by guid with
    error: An unknown error has occurred., error code: -1056749260
    At line:1 char:16

i tried to find a solution online, but none worked among those i found.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance,

Re: unable to merge a deleted mailbox

I would hazard a guess:

It's because the deleted mailbox, and the new mailbox, while appearing the same on the surface, actually aren't.

There would be SIDs or equivalent, which aren't the same.

Youy may need to try redirecting the restore to another mailbox if you can ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: unable to merge a deleted mailbox

Hi tehcamel,

This is what we tried.

We used "jp" / "jp restore" to redirect the mailbox, but it does not work.

The only solution that I can think of is to backup his current mailbox in a PST, delete the mailbox, and then try to restore the deleted mailbox.
      The problem is that he is not often in the office, and I would prefer to do that when he is here, so that I can also have his smartphone off.