No announcement yet.

Retrieving additional AD user details from GAL when in Outlook

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retrieving additional AD user details from GAL when in Outlook

Hello all,

I have been given the daunting tasking for entering additional user details for each user object within our active directory environment (ie: phone numbers, title, address, reporting manager, etc, etc). I have entered this information for a select few users within the AD Users and Computers MMC snap-in. After confirming that the newly entered information displayed within the user properties of the Exchange Management Console, I restarted my Outlook client and proceeded to display the user properties from the GAL only to find out that none of the information that was updated within AD was transferred/displayed for the user.

How can I force an update on the GAL so that it displays current and accurate information from AD as I continue to update user details?

FYI: I am running Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2007 within a server 2008 environment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Retrieving additional AD user details from GAL when in Outlook

If you are using Outlook in cached mode then that information will not appear until the next OAB update.
    That takes place on the server by default every 24 hours.
    It then has to be downloaded by the client, This occurs automatically once every 24 hours or when Outlook is restarted. It can also be done using the command in the Send/Receive menu.

To force the OAB to update run the following

get-offlineaddressbook | get-offlineaddressbook

Wait at least half an hour before attempting to download the OAB to see the changes.

The other way to confirm the changes are there is to use OWA, as that uses live information.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.