Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to reduce the Exchange Server mailbox DB size ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to reduce the Exchange Server mailbox DB size ?

Hi All,

I just got a growing problem in my Exchange Server 2007 SP1 CCR mailbox server role, the free space is getting lesser and lesser every week and now it has reach 20% low

I've separated the transaction log partition already (per storage group per partition) and now they're fine

I have moved the top 2 mailbox in this DB partition but somehow it is still not decreased ?

any help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: how to reduce the Exchange Server mailbox DB size ?

The file size won't shrink on it's own, you need to do an offline defarg of the mailbox store. You're going to get varying opinions on whether you should do this or not, but if you're running out of space and you have no other alternatives then you may have no choice.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      The file size won't shrink on it's own, you need to do an offline defarg of the mailbox store. You're going to get varying opinions on whether you should do this or not, but if you're running out of space and you have no other alternatives then you may have no choice.
      well thanks for the reply,

I thought that by migrating the top 2 Mailboxes I can reclaim the disk space ?

plus the full backup is now daily.

Comment

The only way to shrink the file size and reclaim the disk space is to do an offline defrag.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          The only way to shrink the file size and reclaim the disk space is to do an offline defrag.
          ok, so it won't be shrinking by itself even after i migrate the mailboxes out of this Storage Group ?

Comment

Yes, it woill NOT.
            You have to do offline defrag.

OR, you could move all mailboxes to other server, delete the problematic database, then create new DB and migrate back...

Comment

Working...
            X