Setting up alias to send/receive emails on behalf of second domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up alias to send/receive emails on behalf of second domain

I have two domains. Domain A is the domain set on the Windows Server and the Exchange server. My company receives emails to another domain (domain B). Domain B is not set up with any Windows/Exchange server. I would like to send emails on behalf of domain B by logging into domain A as well receive emails. The users are the same. Example scenario:

John Smith logs into his computer with his username, he receives email from both '[email protected]' and '[email protected]'

John Smith can send an email and choose between '[email protected]' and [email protected]' in the 'Send from' box.

I have already set up Accepted Domains, and I can receive emails from domain B but I can't see if it came from domain B, when checking who its sent to, it says '[email protected]' when it should say '[email protected]' .

What am I doing wrong or what else do I need to do?

Appreciate your help guys

Re: Setting up alias to send/receive emails on behalf of second domain

What Exchange/Outlook versions?
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

I am using Exchange 2010 and Office Outlook 2010. Thanks

Comment

add a second account to your exchange profile.
        configure it to retreive, and send, email from your domainb.com

then, configure outlook to show the "from' field.
        then train your users to use the correct from name.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          add a second account to your exchange profile.
          configure it to retreive, and send, email from your domainb.com

then, configure outlook to show the "from' field.
          then train your users to use the correct from name.
          Thanks tehcamel, how do I go about adding a second account to the Exchange profile? Do you have a link to a guide or perhaps you can give me quick instructions on what to click on...

Thanks for your help

Comment

basically the same way you added the first

file > account > add account
            or something like that - i'm not in front of my O2010 machine at the moment.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              basically the same way you added the first

file > account > add account
              or something like that - i'm not in front of my O2010 machine at the moment.
              There is no menu like that in the EMC of 2010. I think you have misunderstood me.

Comment

Does anyone else know?

Comment

you add the account on the client side.
                  There is no (appropriate) way to do it on the server side

Comment

I wrote a procedure to do something similar. Let me know if this is what you are trying to achieve:

Configuring Outlook and Exchange to send from a secondary alias.

Say you have the following setup:
                    Mailbox: Julian Milano
                    Default SMTP Addr: [email protected]
                    Alias1: [email protected]
                    Alias2: [email protected]

By default, in Outlook, when sending an email, the Default SMTP Address will be used. However, if you wish to use one of your alias addresses as the From address, follow these steps:

1. Create a new POP3 email account in Outlook:
                    a. Open “Account Settings” and click the New button:

b. Choose Email Service => Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP or HTTP. Click Next.
                    c. Check the “Manually configure server settings or additional server types” checkbox. Click Next.
                    d. Click the Internet Email radio button. Click Next.

e. In the Internet Email Settings dialog, fill in the following details:

(Note: Email address needs to be "[email protected]myseconddomain.com.au" which is my primary alias)

Note certain settings in this dialog are respective to the users so please change these accordingly.
                    User Information\Email Address must match your alias precisely as this is used to authenticate the username with the mailbox-alias.
                    f. Click “More Settings”.
                    g. In the next dialog box, in the General tab, enter the alias you want to use in the “Reply Email” textbox. It is important to put in the correct alias here as this is the address used by the external system to reply back to your mailbox.
                    h. Click the “Outgoing Server” tab and check the “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication.
                    2. As this account is purely for sending purposes, we need to disable the receiving capability of the account in case it conflicts with the main mailbox:
                    a. Click Tools\Send Receive\Send Receive Settings\Define Send/Receive Groups.
                    b. Click the Edit button.
                    c. Choose the custom account from the left panel.
                    d. Uncheck the “Receive mail items”. Click OK.
                    e. Click Close.

Done.

When you start a new email now, in the From field (you need to enable this field to show from the menu options), type the email address of the alias you want to send from and off it goes.

Note this worked in XP with no issues.
                    Attached Files
                    |
                    +-- JDMils
                    |
                    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
                    |

Comment

as good as your post is jdmils,

If your Exchange account already has multiple addresses (for instance I have [email protected] ; [email protected] ; [email protected] with [email protected] as default) then you don't need to create additional accounts.
                      and I defintely wouldn't sugegst pop3, even within a secure network.

You can just use the "from" field, and type the different alias.

you can do the same for any mailbox you have send-as access on.

Comment

Your method does not work as required. You can set the From field before sending, however when the email is received at the other end, it will be from your default address, not the one you set. Here's a sample of my testing:
                        Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 09:21:51 +1100
                        To: "[email protected]<NOSPAM>.com" <[email protected]<NOSPAM>.com>
                        Subject: test of From address
                        Part(s):
                        2 image001.jpg image/jpeg 8767 KB Download
                        1.2 unnamed text/html 4.62 KB Download

Body:
                        From [email protected]<NOSPAM>.com
                        As you can see, I set my "victoriaelectricity<NOSPAM>.com" as the From address, sent the email, but Exchange sends it using your default domain. If you know a way around this then PLEASE let me know as I've spent so much of my time researching this scenario. Thanks.
                        |
                        +-- JDMils
                        |
                        |

Comment

tehcamel - you are incorrect.
                          If you don't use POP3 or separate Exchange accounts then the From field is basically ignored. SMTP addresses are simply used by Exchange to resolve the address to an account. Once that is done, the address is discarded.

As far as Exchange is concerned, all mailboxes only have one email address - the default. All others are aliases for outbound email.

However, I too dislike POP3 and therefore my preferred method for this is additional mailboxes. Create a different mailbox for each account, and then set the Send As permission on each account to the primary mailbox. You can then use From field to select the address the email comes from.

The main reason POP3 is used is because it allows the use of a drop down list for accounts to send from, whereas the from field doesn't.
                          Move to Outlook 2010 though, and you can have your drop down list.

Simon.
                          --
                          Simon Butler
                          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Simon,

Your method thus displays two mailboxes in the Outlook client for the user? The reason I ask is that the method I posted only uses one mailbox. Wouldn't that be more efficient? Thanks.
                            |
                            +-- JDMils
                            |
                            |

Comment

In Outlook 2010 it does display multiple mailboxes if you want the drop down list.
                              However in older versions it does not. You do not have to add the mailbox to the Outlook client.

I wrote this at least four years ago.
                              http://www.amset.info/exchange/twodomainsoneuser.asp

Simon.
                              --
                              Simon Butler
                              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                              X