Clear All

• How to decommission one of two Exchange 2010 servers, legacy Ex2003 present

Hi all

Scenario:

Server 1 - Legacy Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 AD DC GC

Server 2 - Exchange 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 Std member server

Server 3 - Exchange 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 Ent AD DC GC

Single site, single domain.

The older Server 1 is public facing and handles email traffic, spam filtering etc for external email traffic. I need to remove Server 2 and prepare it for re-installation with Windows Enterprise and Ex2010 for DAG purposes between two sites. To this end I've moved all mailboxes from Server 2 to Server 3 and deleted a routing group connector between servers 2 and 1, created a routing group connector between servers 3 and 1. Everything works and mail is flowing into and out of the organisation.

Now I need to remove server 2 from the organisation but I'm not sure what steps to take to remove it cleanly without affecting my users. Is it a simple case of running Setup from the Exchange disk on Server 2 to remove roles etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stratt

Re: How to decommission one of two Exchange 2010 servers, legacy Ex2003 present

IIRC yes, just do a clean uninstall and all will be OK

Just confirm no public folder replicas or address lists left on it before you do
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X