Message Size Limits

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message Size Limits

Just need to confirm this. On Exchange 2007, setting higher message size limits on individual mailboxes bypasses the maximum message sizes set for the organization, but only for internal messages, not for messages sent to or received from outside the organization, right?

thanks--

Re: Message Size Limits

correct - no mater the size of the individual recipient's limit, the connectors cannot accept mail larger than whatever size they are configured at.

if you need some help on increasing limits, try this link
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

What I wanted to do was give several users the ability to send large attachments while everyone else has a smaller SendMaxSize. I just realized Im thinking about that backwards - I can make the connector limit, say, 50MB and then reduce every mailbox individually to 10MB. Thats a pain but I guess thats the only way.
      Last edited by vndic8; 12th March 2011, 03:33.

Comment

You can also set store limits, then override for individuals

Powershell is your friend here
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          correct - no mater the size of the individual recipient's limit, the connectors cannot accept mail larger than whatever size they are configured at.
          To clarify, Im specifically talking sending mail with large attachments.

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          You can also set store limits, then override for individuals

Powershell is your friend here
          Wait a minute, I thought we just established the send connector limit is what rules. How would bigger individual mailbox limits work? Or is there an attachment size difference between sending and receiving?

Comment

Sorry - I meant:
            Large limit at connector (or do not set limit on send connector)
            Small limit for store (applies to all users by default)
            Over-ride individual users with larger limits (below connector limits)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That sounds elegant. Where are store limits set?

Comment

Sorry -- I had a brainstorm and confused mailbox sizes with max message sizes
                Now back on planet earth and checked an Exch2007 server
                Message size limits are at the connectors and at the users, connectors winning for external messages
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Hi there, sorry I'm not sure if I should pick this thread up as it's not that old or start my own.

I have basically the same situation i that I would like to restrict all mail in and out of the company to 5MB except for certain users (Marketing, legal etc) who need to send and receive larger attachements.

So far I have set Organisational Config>Hub Transport>Global Settings>Transport Settings>Maximum send size and maximum receive size to 5120KB

I then got all optimistic and tried to set an individual users settings to 10024 to see if they could send a 10MB email to an external contact but no luck (Half expected!)

Does anyone know a way I could achieve this without having to put the transport settings back to 10MB and then go through every user account and set a 5MB limit except for the allowed users?

Thanks and sorry to the mods if I should have started a new thread!
                  Dan
                  Last edited by mwahahaha; 15th April 2011, 11:11.

Comment

All sorted - I put the limits back up to 10mb all round and created a transport rule to say if the attachment size is bigger than 5MB reject the message unless the sender or recipient is a member of a distribution list I created called Large Attachments.

Maybe not the best way but problem solved none the less

Comment

Originally posted by mwahahaha View Post
                      All sorted - I put the limits back up to 10mb all round and created a transport rule to say if the attachment size is bigger than 5MB reject the message unless the sender or recipient is a member of a distribution list I created called Large Attachments.

Maybe not the best way but problem solved none the less
                      Excellent, that did it. Best way? Seems its the only way!

Comment

Awesome, glad it helped

Comment

Working...
                        X