Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do to fix the mailbox which grows the log uncontrollably everyday ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do to fix the mailbox which grows the log uncontrollably everyday ?

Hi,

When the tape backup was full or failed during the daily full backup only this storage group with this particular mailbox out of space.

it seems that one of the mailbox in my exchange server storage group caused this problem because when I move-mailbox of this particular mailbox the symptomp is always the same (running out of transaction log)

Does anyone have any suggestion of what to do to diagnose it further or perform anything that is non disruptive as it is currently running in production ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Albertwt; 27th February 2011, 23:50.

Re: What to do to fix the mailbox which grows the log uncontrollably everyday ?

Move the logs to another drive with more space, and investigate why backups are failing
    How about a 2-step backup to disk then disk to tape?

Which Exchange is it?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Move the logs to another drive with more space, and investigate why backups are failing
      How about a 2-step backup to disk then disk to tape?

Which Exchange is it?
      Hi Ossian,

I'm using the Exchange Server 2007 SP1 and at the moment the backup is using direct to tape drive which if failed it would wait until the next day, but the next day means it is already full.

at the moment I'm trying to Open the mailbox from outlook and then do manual export to PST before I delete the mailbox, recreate it and then restore it back from PST.

Comment

How much log space do you have, and what is your drive configuration?

You should be on SP3 now
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What is in this mailbox? I would suggest checking why it is so busy, do you expect it to be so? There could be a loop that you could fix and therefore stop the issue from happening in the first place.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            How much log space do you have, and what is your drive configuration?

You should be on SP3 now
            at the moment I got 20 GB for each mailbox, but then it is filled up in just one weekend ?

very hard to believe but that is the situation.

upgrading to SP3 got too many horror stories (of breaking another service here and there) so I prefer not to do it when all else is working since day one of installation.

Comment

Hi,

You can either use export/import-mailbox
              http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...13/437745.aspx

or enable circular logging although not advisable to enable on production this will reuse set of log files and overwrite them, then you can move mailbox. Make sure you have complete backup of exchange. Once done you need to change the logging to default and take a full backup.
              Thanks & Regards
              v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
              Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
              Independent IT Consultant and Architect
              Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                What is in this mailbox? I would suggest checking why it is so busy, do you expect it to be so? There could be a loop that you could fix and therefore stop the issue from happening in the first place.
                Hi Andy,

This is a mailbox that is shared between 7-10 people serving as the IT helpdesk mailbox.

Yes, i am trying to fix this mailbox problem by recreating the mailbox and then importing the mail content of it.

Comment

Working...
                X