Exchange 2007 Archive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 Archive

Hi...Im new to this site as well as to exchange 2007. Im a small business owner and installed a server in my home. is there any way in exchange to archive a users mail box? Im not an IT guy and tried from the users computer and it does not work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Re: Exchange 2007 Archive

What have you tried on the computer? The normal way is to Export from Outlook to PST file
    You could also check out the export-mailbox cmdlet in the Exchange Management Shell
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It is actually easier to do from a user's computer than from Exchange. In Outlook go to File-> Import and Export (or Import on the file tab in Outlook 2010), choose Export to a File, Choose Outlook Data File (PST) as the type. Click the User's Name and make sure that the box for include subfolders is checked. Choose a file name and location and then click finish.

Using the Exchange tools is a horrible faff as they need to be installed on a 32-bit machine, so I'd do it from Outlook.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Hi guys...thanks...again im real new to all this.....so can i ask a basic/stupid question.....when the users account was made on exchange 2007 the pst on the local computer was imported into exchange....my question is what use/purpose does the pst on the local computer then have....nothing.....

and so you are telling to export from the users computer to a file location on the network...is this correct....again sorry im just trying to get the understanding on how this works...

Comment

One last question...i looked and can see how to export.....when items are exported i assume they are taken off of exchange? correct...also i looked at the filter and can you tell me how to filter by date so any activity sent/recieved can be sorted by dates older than "01/01/09 for example"...thanks

Comment

Hi Eric
            You can click the Edit button to amend an existing post if you want to.

1) The local PST is useless once it has been moved into Exchange, but beware, users may have multiple PSTs so be sure each has been moved before you delete them. There is also an OST (Offline file) which is essential to allow access to historical emails if Exchange is not available.

2) No, export makes a copy to a pst -- the originals are in Exchange still. What version of Outlook are you using, and what version of Windows?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Hi Eric
              You can click the Edit button to amend an existing post if you want to.

1) The local PST is useless once it has been moved into Exchange, but beware, users may have multiple PSTs so be sure each has been moved before you delete them. There is also an OST (Offline file) which is essential to allow access to historical emails if Exchange is not available.

2) No, export makes a copy to a pst -- the originals are in Exchange still. What version of Outlook are you using, and what version of Windows?
              Thanks....so after you make a copy (export) over to pst how do you make a mail box smaller? by having the user delete items.....is there any type of archiving that can be done or is it just the export feature....and again not to sound stupid but when you export it does not take the data off exchange...correct....thanks again and sorry for the remedial questions...

Comment

sorry..forgot...the users computer is using window 7 professional and outlook 2007....

just saw the edit to amend post comment....
                Last edited by eric willoughby; 27th February 2011, 16:05.

Comment

There is an archive feature in Outlook, I think it's under the tools menu. You can control it via GPO if you install the Office ADMs. Basically it does the same thing as export, but removes the email from Exchange as it does it.

I should point out though that PST files are horrible to manage, and are not supported for access over a network. Unless you have serious disk space issues I'd keep everything in the mailboxes, for backup purposes if nothing else.
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                    There is an archive feature in Outlook, I think it's under the tools menu. You can control it via GPO if you install the Office ADMs. Basically it does the same thing as export, but removes the email from Exchange as it does it.

I should point out though that PST files are horrible to manage, and are not supported for access over a network. Unless you have serious disk space issues I'd keep everything in the mailboxes, for backup purposes if nothing else.
                    Ok thanks...one last question how big of a mailbox is too big before it starts effecting the user on the local computer...like being slow...not responding very well...etc

Comment

If you are running in Cached Exchange Mode (which is the Outlook default) then I don't think there's really a limit. Large mailboxes will take a long time to synch if you are not running in Cached Exchange Mode as the whole mailbox is pulled from Exchange at Outlook startup.
                      sigpic
                      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Size doesn't matter.
                        Once you go above a certainly limit you have to run live, you can't use cached mode.

The performance impact is the number of items in a folder. Keep it below about 5000 and you will not see any issues.

To correct the above - the entire mailbox is NOT pulled download each time Outlook is started when live (ie not cached mode). Outlook works in a standard client server manner - so every request comes form the server. So the list of items is drawn live, then when you open an item it is pulled from the server.

I have a number of clients with 30gb + mailboxes, which run fine in live, but they have lots of folders.

Simon.
                        --
                        Simon Butler
                        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                        X