Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the DNS and IIS requirement for Publishing Outlook Anywhere ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the DNS and IIS requirement for Publishing Outlook Anywhere ?

Hi Everyone,

I just would like some clarification about which External hostname / DNS entries
    that I need to publish in my external facing DNS server to enable Outlook Anywhere on my Exchange Server 2007 for external user:

1. ExCAS01.domain.com - Exchange CAS A Record to the Threat Management Gateway 2010 (ISA Firewall) IP address ?
    2. Autodiscover.domain.com - Autodiscover CNAME to the CAS Server above
    3. _autodiscover._tcp.domain.com - SRV type record

and do I have to expect anything by typing this address in bowser "https://autodiscover.domain.com/AutoDiscover/AutoDiscover.xml" ?
    because i get request time out at the moment.

here are the error log from https://testexchangeconnectivity.com:

Code:
    	Host Excas01.domain.com couldn't be resolved in DNS Exception details:
    	Message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
    	Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    	Stack trace:
    	at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
    	at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
    	at System.Net.Dns.GetHostAddresses(String hostNameOrAddress)
    	at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.ResolveHostTest.PerformTestReally()

Host autodiscover.domain.com couldn't be resolved in DNS Exception details:
    	Message: The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found
    	Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    	Stack trace:
    	at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
    	at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
    	at System.Net.Dns.GetHostAddresses(String hostNameOrAddress)
    	at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.ResolveHostTest.PerformTestReally()

Attempting to locate SRV record _autodiscover._tcp.domain.com in DNS.
    		The Autodiscover SRV record wasn't found in DNS.
    Any kind of help and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: What is the DNS and IIS requirement for Publishing Outlook Anywhere ?

I don't think you need anything other than the Host (A) record to be externally resolvable to get Outlook Anywhere working, pretty sure that's how ours is set up. We also use Exchange 2007 and TMG 2010. Whether or not it's best practice to configure the other records as well I don't know, from memory autodiscover is only necessary for some Outlook features such as the OAB and unified messaging.

On the CAS server you'll need to enable Outlook Anywhere, and IIRC you have to manually install the RPC Proxy feature in Server Manager. Use the publishing wizards in TMG to publish Outlook Anywhere, and create a seperate rule for each service - DO NOT add extra paths to other rules as was common practice in ISA 2004/6. You'll need an SSL certificate on TMG for the external DNS name, and an SSL certificate on the CAS server for the internal name so that TMG can connect via SSL to the CAS server.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      I don't think you need anything other than the Host (A) record to be externally resolvable to get Outlook Anywhere working, pretty sure that's how ours is set up. We also use Exchange 2007 and TMG 2010. Whether or not it's best practice to configure the other records as well I don't know, from memory autodiscover is only necessary for some Outlook features such as the OAB and unified messaging.

On the CAS server you'll need to enable Outlook Anywhere, and IIRC you have to manually install the RPC Proxy feature in Server Manager. Use the publishing wizards in TMG to publish Outlook Anywhere, and create a seperate rule for each service - DO NOT add extra paths to other rules as was common practice in ISA 2004/6. You'll need an SSL certificate on TMG for the external DNS name, and an SSL certificate on the CAS server for the internal name so that TMG can connect via SSL to the CAS server.
      Cruachan, many thanks for your reply:

the host name is for the Exchange CAS server public IP published by TMG 2010 right ?

but as for the certificate, "SSL certificate on TMG for the external DNS name" --> does that means I must install the same SSL SAN certificate on both CAS and the TMG as well ?

Comment

No, you need the externally resolvable name on TMG, so a certificate for Excas01.domain.com for external clients.

In the TMG publishing rule you specify the internal name that requests are sent to, for example Excas01.domain.local, and you need a web server certificate for that installed on the CAS server so that TMG can connect over SSL to the CAS server.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Her's a really good article on publishing Autodiscover. It's written for ISA 2006/Exchange 2007, but the publishing in TMG is pretty much identical so most of it still applies.
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X