No announcement yet.

Exhchange 2007 SP1 to SP3

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhchange 2007 SP1 to SP3

I am planning on getting our Exchange server updated next week to the latest service pack and associated patches.

Just wanted to check that I can do a straight upgrade from SP1 to SP3 of exchange 2007?

Also my intention was to follow the steps below. Would this be the correct method?

Exchange sits as a VMware ESX4 virtual machine.

This is what I intend to do:

Turn off Receive Connectors to ensure all mail in and out stops flowing whilst I am doing the upgrade.
    Switch the Exchange server VM off
    Snapshot the VM
    Bring the server back online
    Do the service pack upgrade to SP3 as well as other updates. Ensure fully patched up. Turn receive connectors back on. Make sure Exchange is working and mail flowing in and out.
    Once up and running, Delete the snapshot

Would others follow this sequence? Any other advice anyone can provide would be helpful. I dont see any issues but thought I would check....

Re: Exhchange 2007 SP1 to SP3

Upgrading SP1 direct to SP3 is fine, and your procedure looks OK -- I have done it without shutting off connectors (HT will queue mail as needed and if it cannot accept, the sender should redeliver OK)

I presume it is a single server setup?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I've done it without pausing the connectors as well, no real issues that I've had. make sure you've got a good backup before proceeding though, your snapshot should do the job.

I've also found the BackupExec services (if that's what you are running) have to be stopped as the remote agent puts a lock on some files that the installer will detect and won't proceed until you stop them.
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      Cruachan's Blog

I agree with Cruachan. I just did this upgrade on a stand-alone physical W2k8 server last week, without pausing the connectors, and the only hiccup was I had to stop the Backup Exec remote agent. Was pleasantly surprised with the ease of upgrade.