Autodiscover and DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autodiscover and DNS

I have a Exchange 2007 server and want users to use their phones to connect to exchange. I have Outlook anywhere setup on my CAS server and all the right DNS on my LAN. My CERT is also good which I know you need to use a mobile device, please correct me of I'm wrong.

What are the external DNS entries that need to be created? Do I need a MX, CNAME and that's it? What about a A record?

Please advice.

Thanks

~H~

Re: Autodiscover and DNS

A MX record is needed ro receive mails, you should already have one if you are able to receive mails from the internet.

In order to publish Active Sync to the Internet you need at least a static IP address and of course a A record pointing to your firewall (I hope you have one ) and you need some type of reverse proxy (ISA/TMG if we speak about Microsoft) to publish the websites for Active Sync, Autodiscover and OWA (if you want to use this as well).
    For Autodiscover to work all you need now is a CNAME with autodiscover.domain.suffix pointing to the A record for the IP address connected to the Autodiscover publishing rule.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
      A MX record is needed ro receive mails, you should already have one if you are able to receive mails from the internet.

In order to publish Active Sync to the Internet you need at least a static IP address and of course a A record pointing to your firewall (I hope you have one ) and you need some type of reverse proxy (ISA/TMG if we speak about Microsoft) to publish the websites for Active Sync, Autodiscover and OWA (if you want to use this as well).
      For Autodiscover to work all you need now is a CNAME with autodiscover.domain.suffix pointing to the A record for the IP address connected to the Autodiscover publishing rule.

As of now we do have a Sattic IP and e-mail is working. We also have OWA access so I think we can rule out all of the connections.

What you are saying is I need to create a CNAME= autodiscover.domain.suffix which should not be a problem. NOw the A record im confused, are you saying it should point to IP address of the new CNAME?

Also the IP address you are talking about should that point to the IP address we are using now for our exchange server?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

The A record cannot point to the CNAME, it's the other way around. In order to create a CNAME you have to have a A record which can be used to point the CNAME to.

The IP address you have to use is dependent from the reverse proxy solution you are using right now. The CNAME should point to the IP address reseponsible for publishing the Autodiscover web site.

Comment

Working...
        X