Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange Server 2007 backup doesn't work due to disk space issue ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2007 backup doesn't work due to disk space issue ?

Hi Everyone,

I'm having emergency problem here in our CCR Exchange Server 2007, the Log partition is currently almost full - less than 1 GB and I got the attached error message as follows.

Code:
    #############################################################################################
    "Microsoft Exchange Server (Microsoft Information Store)"  Time: 25/01/2011 3:41:05 PM
    ESE subsystem or operating system reported error for SG10:
    0x50d: Either the target process, or the target thread's containing process, is a protected process.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        MSExchangeIS
    Date:          25/01/2011 3:41:05 PM
    Event ID:      9840
    Task Category: General
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      EXC01-VM.domain.com
    Description:
    An attempt to prepare the storage group 'SG10' for backup failed because the storage group is already in the process of being backed up. The error code is 1293. (Note that if a backup was recently aborted, then it may take several minutes for the system to detect the aborted backup and initiate backup cleanup procedures, so this message may be generated if an attempt was made to backup a storage group before a previous backup attempt had fully terminated.) 

Information Store (3796) Callback function call ErrESECBPrepareInstanceForBackup ended with error 0x0000050D Either the target process, or the target thread's containing process, is a protected process.
    is there any permanent fix to prevent his to happens again ?

my only solution is just restart the STORE.exe process during the business hours and pray that it will back up again as soon as possible. (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=930800) my OS is Windows Server 2008 not 2003 and the Exchange Server 2007 version is 8.1 build 240.6

any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Exchange Server 2007 backup doesn't work due to disk space issue ?

I would look into your backup solution -- an exchange aware one should delete "completed" logs and free up space.

Whatever you do, do not delete logs manually!

Do you still have an option to move logs to another location (in the store properties somewhere)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      I would look into your backup solution -- an exchange aware one should delete "completed" logs and free up space.

Whatever you do, do not delete logs manually!

Do you still have an option to move logs to another location (in the store properties somewhere)
      Hi Ossian,

moving the log files ? I don't know how to do it as this is production exchange server still running during business hours.

Comment

Exchange can do it -- just checked:
        Go into EMC -- Server Config -- Mailbox Role -- Select server
        Right click Storage Group and select "Move Storage Group Path"
        Click BROWSE beside log path
        Select new location and click MOVE
        Exchange will dismount all dbs in the storage group while things change so you will need to do it out of hours

More here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          Exchange can do it -- just checked:
          Go into EMC -- Server Config -- Mailbox Role -- Select server
          Right click Storage Group and select "Move Storage Group Path"
          Click BROWSE beside log path
          Select new location and click MOVE
          Exchange will dismount all dbs in the storage group while things change so you will need to do it out of hours

More here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx
          ah.. IC, thanks mate for your reply, however if it is reaching lesser than 900 MB then I must reset/restart the MS Exchange Information Store service anyway otherwise 500 users in my CCR Exchange Server domain couldn't send and receive email.

meanwhile I'll raise the urgent change request (-_-)"

Comment

Working...
          X