No announcement yet.

Move from SBS2003 to Exchange 2010 on seperate Win2008R2 servers in new domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move from SBS2003 to Exchange 2010 on seperate Win2008R2 servers in new domain

Hi

short introduction:

Soon we will move from SBS2003 domain to new 2008R2 domain because of 75 user limitation. DC and exchange 2010 (and file server) will be running on 1 physical server, and SQL2008 will be running on a second physical server.

We will not purchase the transition kit so a lot of steps will need to be setup manually I understand. Migrating would be the faster step but when something goes wrong I do not see a direct plan to go back. That is why my superior wants me to start from scratch. Actually that is the only acceptable way for us so we will move on from this situation (yippie! )

Pls read the text marked in blue.

What would be the best plan for server1 (DC + exchange)
    1. Install Windows 2008R2 server on server1, this will be my GCS.
    2. Run Windows updates
    3. dcpromo
    4. Install DNS, DHCP.
    5. Create all users, security groups in AD as they exist currently on our old SBS
    6. Install exchange 2010
    7. Run exchange updates
    8. Recreate all mailboxes, distribution groups in AD
    Is there a way to move mailboxes between sbs domain and new 2008R2 domain as I have read this is not possible because no trust can be configured between old sbs and new 2008R2 domain? Can I link these mailboxes to the new users I created?
    If there is a way to move mailboxes, then could someone point me to the correct tool. If not I need to pull all mailboxes and public folders to pst’s
    (yippie!!)
    Other solutions?
    9. Go to each computer and configure the pc in the new domain, transfer profiles.
    10. Group policys will be reconfigured anyway on the new server.

Appreciate any info.

Regards, B

Re: Move from SBS2003 to excahnge 2010 on seperate Win2008R2 servers in new domain

you would have to do an exmerge or similar, to export all the mailboxes from the source destination and import them on the destination
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Move from SBS2003 to excahnge 2010 on seperate Win2008R2 servers in new domain

Allright thanks! Manuals enough about exmerge. Will already test the exports on sbs2003 and perfom few tests on imports via command prompt in Exchange 2010 on test users.

time for testing!

Comment

Just mind that (IIRC) exmerge on Exchange 2003 has a 2GB limit so larger mailboxes may need to be "chunked". If that is the case, export to PST using Outlook may be an option
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks, great info! I will need to do this to export the public folders, +- 4Gb. All other mailboxes are kept smaller then 1,5Gb for mgt and smaller then 0,5Gb for normal users.

Comment

Working...
          X