Exchange 2010 upgrade from 2003 on new VMware VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 upgrade from 2003 on new VMware VM

I'm in the process of going through the final steps of the planning process for the migration from our single server 2003 Exchange server environment to a new Exchange 2010 environment that will be located on a VMware VM.

The plan is to upgrade our AD to 2008 and migrate the domain controllers over to two new VM's prior to performing the exchange migration. One of the dc's is also the 2003 exchange server and that will be demoted prior to performing the exchange migration.

I've found these two resources in my research that should help step me through the process for the most part:

w3w.networkworld.com/community/node/47632 (replace 3 with w)
    and
    technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me, things I should look out for when I'm going through this process? I just stumbled on the fact that the Unified Messaging Server can't be installed on a VM server as per:

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996719.aspx

where it states that:

"All Exchange 2010 server roles, except for the Unified Messaging server role, are supported in a virtualization environment. This is due to the real-time response requirements associated with voice communications with the Unified Messaging server role."

To me this didn't sound like an issue as our environment would not be one that would benefit from having this feature installed. Am I correct in thinking that this is simply a component that doesn't have to be installed? Or does it fulfill some mandatory function?

And with this new discovery I figured I'd toss out a post to see if anyone has done anything similar to what I'm trying to do, and if so what they ran into.

Thanks in advance for any insight and advice you can lend.

-Dan

Re: Exchange 2010 upgrade from 2003 on new VMware VM

Originally posted by dfabbri View Post
    One of the dc's is also the 2003 exchange server and that will be demoted prior to performing the exchange migration.
    If you do this your Exchange 2003 will be most probably broken, just search around regarding Exchange 2003 installed on a DC and how to get around this mess.

Regarding the Unified Messaging role for Exchange 2010 you are right, it's a special role you only need if you want to make voice mail, incoming fax and something like this.

Comment

Running DCPROMO on a machine running Exchange of any version is not supported. It will break Exchange and generally cause you many other issues.

If the server is running Windows 2003 then you are going to be fine. If it is running Windows 2000 then you are going to have to migrate to another Exchange 2003 server first, before you can even think about moving to any later version of Exchange.

UM is not a core role and does not have to be installed. If you are simply looking to replace Exchange 2003 with the same core functionality, then it isn't an issue.
      For most deployments, UM would be installed on a separate machine anyway, as it is very hard on hardware, so a common scenario is that the Mailbox, CAS and Hub Transport role are installed in virtual machines and UM on bare metal.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. So am I correct in thinking I probably want to modify my plan and put of demoting the exchange box that's the DC until after the conversion? All the DC's, in the environment including the exchange server are 2003 severs.

So here's the overview of my process.

1. Upgrade 2003 AD schema to 2008 AD
        2. Bring up a 2008 DC on one of the VMs (include DNS install as well)
        3. Promote that new DC to become the FSMO role holder for the network.
        4. Stand up a second 2008 DC on another VM. (include DNS install as well)
        5. Monitor and validate AD replication and DNS operation.
        6. Prepare AD schema for Exchange 2010
        7. Stand up Exchange 2010 on one of the VMs
        8. Migrate connectors to new server
        9. Migrate mailboxes to Exchange 2010 sever
        10. Leave exchange 2003 up and running for a month to allow outlook redirection
        11. Remove the Exchange 2003 server from the Exchange system
        12. DCpromo the exchange server down to a member server and decommission.

Steps 8 and 9 are a little fuzzy for me in the logistics of how to juggle incoming mail and other issues surrounding ensuring that both boxes are in "sync" so to speak.

So that's my plan in a nutshell. So take a look and if you see any big red flags let me know. Thanks again for the feedback. I appreciate it.

-Dan

Comment

@dfabbri : we did a similar migrated a few weeks ago and did not run into major issues. I was wondering which outlook client you use ?

bio..

Comment

You don't really migrate connectors - you would remove the Exchange 2003 SMTP connector and replace it with a Send Connector. Until you do that, the Exchange 2003 SMTP connector is seen by Exchange 2010 as a Send Connector it cannot modify.

Migrating mailboxes to Exchange 2010 is easy, you use move mailbox. Of all the tasks that is probably the easiest, but takes the longest.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Just checked this post again and realized there were other comments. Sorry for not thanking you guys earlier .

Another interesting thing I've noticed and it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, is that of what Forest Function Level needs to be active for the addition of a 2008 AD Domain Controller to take place? I've noticed that the Domain Function Level has to be at least 2000 native, which we are ok with already. But nowhere in my research have I come across a required Forest Function Level. Is there one? We are currently at just the Windows 2000 level.

I realize this may not be the exact forum to be posting this question but I figure since this would be a component of the Exchange upgrade that it may be a pertinent one to ask here.

-Dan

Comment

AFAIK the same -- all you need to do is to extend the AD schema from the 2008 media
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X