Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 Evaluation Software

Hi all,

We are currently using exchange 2003 EE. I downloaded Exchange 2007 evaluation software to test it and evaluate it. On the download page from microsoft I got two versions of exchange 2007. first is 32 bit and second is 64 bit. On the download page it says the Os requirement is windows 2003 32 bit or 64 bit.

As per information from technet system requirement for exchange 2007 is 64 bit hardware and 64 bit OS.

Please let me know if exchange 2007 can be implemented on 32 bit hardware ?
    Attached Files

Re: Exchange 2007 Evaluation Software

Exchange 2007 32 bit exists for 2 reasons:
    1) Testing and evaluation, where the user may not have spare 64bit hardware
    2) To install the management tools on a 32bit workstation

For production use, 64bit is the only supported configuration

Exchange 2010 has (IIRC) dropped 32bit completely
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

So I can install exchange 2007 evaluation on a 32 bit hardware and 32 bit OS.

Thanks for the information as I can use a single machine for both exchange 2003 and exchange 2007 testing purpose.

Comment

If you mean you want to install both 2003 and 2007 under the same OS, I dont think that will work. 2 virtual machines on the same physical platform will
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Basically I have the budget to purchase only one machine. So now I am looking to purchase a 32 bit hardware. Initially i will be installing windows server 2003 and exchange server 2003.

Later on when i am finished up with all the tasks Exchange 2003, I will remove exchange 2003 completely and install exchange 2007.

Please advice if what O/S Should I use with exchange 2007 ?

If I take the complete backup on my exchange production server 2003 on an external drive, Can I test to upgrade exchange to 2007 from exchange 2003 on this new system.

Comment

Purchase 64-bit hardware (it probably will be anyway) so that you can upgrade the OS later if you want. 32-bit Windows will run with no issues on 64-bit hardware.

Exchange 2007 is 32-bit for evaluation purposes ONLY. MS will not support it in production as Ossian posted earlier. When you move to Exchange 2007 you can then also move to Server 2008, as Server 2003 has entered it's extended support period.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

If you can buy 32 bit hardware then it will be old stock.
              Almost everything has been 64 bit for the last four or five years.

The 32 bit version cannot have the licence key entered in to it, and as already pointed out is not supported for production use.

There is no in place upgrade option. You cannot install Exchange 2007 on to a system with Exchange 2003 install. The only upgrade path is swing migration, because Exchange 2007 is a 64 bit application.

Why are you even looking at Exchange 2007 anyway? You cannot purchase it any longer (except in SBS 2008 form, but that ends in a few weeks). I wouldn't be considering a deployment of an older version now.

Being blunt, I think you need to go and spend some more time reading about the system requirements and the extensive changes to the way Exchange works. This is not as simple as an Office or Windows upgrade, where you can just install on to the old version. Exchange 2007 and higher is very different to the previous versions.

Also be aware that if you evaluate Exchange 2007 or higher on your production network it makes changes to the domain that cannot be undone. Furthermore if you then decide to do something else for the production use, you need to remove Exchange 2007 correctly, following the guides, not just wipe the system.

If you want to look at Exchange 2007/2010, I would suggest that you purchase a machine with at least 16gb of RAM and lots of disk space. Then use one of the virtual machine technologies (VWMARE ESXi or HyperV - both have free options) to install an evaluation domain and Exchange server, so your production system is not touched.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
              X