No announcement yet.

Ost won't get all the emails from the exchange

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ost won't get all the emails from the exchange

I installed new pc (windows 7 64bit with outlook 2010) on my network and use my user that was already exist and used before on the network with 15,000 emails in the inbox, opened my outlook 2010 and setup my exchange account and start send/receive and it stop after 2,152 emails.
    I can send and receive email but I can't see all my emails as I can see if i'm working on live mode (not cached) and when I'm sending email it won't save my a copy on sent item.

Thank you all for your help,

Re: Ost won't get all the emails from the exchange

How big is the OST file?
    Confirm there is nothing stopping it growing in size on the C drive (quotas, FAT format...)

Try switching from cached to live mode, deleting the OST file and then switching back to cached and re-creating it, possibly in a different location
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I tend to just recreate the OST file when things get to this point.

you have to realise that with 15,000 emails, outlook needs to confirm the presence (or absence) of each and every one of those emails when it tries to sync with Exchange.

I worked on a case for a client who had a 7GB OST file, and it would take an hour for a new email to appear sometimes.

We moved an assload of emails (from before 2006!) to separate PST files, and found that email was received much much quicker.

so that would be my suggestion - offload some of your data.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

15000 email messages in the inbox is going to cause performance issues.
        I would connect Outlook to Exchange live (no cached mode) and then move the email to sub folders. Try and keep the inbox below 5000 items for optimum performance of Outlook.

There is no need to move the items to a PST file, you may as well just delete the contents as PST files are that fragile.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.