Can't send e-mail to newly created contacts in Exchange 07

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't send e-mail to newly created contacts in Exchange 07

I have a list of 4500+ contacts that I've been importing into AD/Exchange using CSVDE for the last 5 years so my users can get our contacts in Outlook without accessing our database. About 6 months ago I upgraded to Exchange 07 and now want to use powershell to import from csv. I have a script that imports the contacts and they display in AD and Exchange with the proper SMTP address and it is also set to the Primary address as well. I've set the script to disable the address policy so these external contacts aren't given addresses in our domain too.

However when I attempt to send an e-mail from outlook to these new contacts imported with Powershell I get a bounce that starts with this:
    IMCEAEX-_O=NT5_ou=95730a2602ff4f45be376297424d291d_cn=339d [email protected]
    #550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##

If I manually enter the contact using Exchange Console, I get the same undeliverable behavior for the new contacts.

If I send to the same contact from OWA, the message doesn't bounce and is delivered. If I go back and create the contact with CSVDE, it works from Outlook and OWA.

Any suggestions or ideas to help troubleshoot and solve this problem?

Re: Can't send e-mail to newly created contacts in Exchange 07

Hi,

can you check the target address on the contacts and verify legacyExchangeDN (use adsiedit) attribute on the contacts
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thanks for the pointer, you're awesome! It appears that the legacyDN is the problem. When i create a new contact in Exchange 07, the LegacyDN is missing on the new contacts. All contacts created with CSVDE have the LegacyDN.

I added the legacyDN to one of my test contacts and it instantly started working.

Once I remove the Exchange 2003 server from my enviroment will this problem go away or will I still need the legacyDN on each contact. I don't know a lot about the LegacyDN so will I just need to add that to my powershell script temporarily or permanently?

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Hi,

You need to either manually fix them or use powerhsell to fix them. Each exchange object would have legacyExchangeDN value.

The problem is occuring the way the contacts are migrated to new env and they are not getting updated correctly.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

Comment

Thanks again! your insight has been quite helpful. With the holidays I think I will have some time to finally remove the old 2003 Exchange server from the domain and at the same time cleanup any dependencies between the servers.

I will look up the powershell code to add the legacyExchangeDN to my new contacts.

Comment

Well I left too do other things and have made a couple changes and also ran the best practices analyzer just to double check the basics on the server. I thought I might have it sovled but now when importing new contacts or attempting to create a conact using the GUI I get the following error.

New-MailContact : A proxy generator DLL on server Server1.domain.org could not be found or failed to initialize. Proxy addresses for the current recipient cannot be calculated. Please ensure that all the proxy address generator DLLs have been installed on the target server.

I may try to reboot the server tonight and see if that helps but if anyone has a better idea before then please let me know. I'm guessing there is still something missing in my configuration that needs to be fixed in adsiedit.

Comment

Hi,

First of all can you check if the binaries are in place. Seems like some missing files or folder from schema.

Do you have any reference server to check with
              Thanks & Regards
              v-2nas

Comment

I'm worried about files on the server too, but I've read a few things that make me wonder if the recipient policy for the new exchange server is the problem.

UPDATE: I restarted the Exchange System Attendant Service and creation is now working again so I'm back to adding the LegacyDN to my import script.. Once I figure out how to get that to automatically append to new contacts, I should be all set.
                Last edited by dhg2496; 28th December 2010, 18:25.

Comment

Well, it looks like there were a couple items wrong. The first was that AD still wanted to use the old exchange server in the LegacyDN, I don't remember what I changed but I had to change that using ADSI Edit to set the new server as the primary server for this setting and move the old server down in the priority.

The Second change that I made, was that the purported search criteria on the Mail Enable Recipient was set incorrectly. I found this page that helped me identify the correct setting that appears to be working now.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-15416ea1fcf9/

Thanks v-2nas, I wouldn't have known to watch the legacyDN attribute without your suggestion.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the link. We enchance our skill set by helping each other
                    Thanks & Regards
                    v-2nas

Comment

Working...
                    X