Exchange clients with redirected folders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange clients with redirected folders

I am using redirected folders for my end-users. The default pst location for outlook is in the documents folder. When the end-users are working remotely, they can't run outlook because it can't find the pst do to using redirected folders. If they connect via the vpn it works fine. I did some research and it seems that pst files are excluded from the offline file synchronization. I also read that it is not a good idea to add pst files to the sync because they are so large. Should I just move the pst files to a different folder so they can be accessed when they are away from the office? I don't want them to have to use the vpn if they don't want to.

Re: Exchange clients with redirected folders

Why do they have PST files? There's no real need for them anymore with the storage limits of Exchange 2003 being left behind. One of the first things I do after installing Exchange 2007/10 is install the Office ADMs and disable Outlook's Auto-Archiving in GPO to prevent PSTs from being created.

PST files are NOT supported over network shares, they tend to corrupt. In fact PSTs tend to corrupt over time anyway. If you have the capacity on your server I would move all email from the PSTs back into Exchange and use the ADMs to lock down PST creation.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Can you tell me how to move email from pst to exchange 2007?
      Also which ADM do I download and where in the GPO do I disable auto archiving?

We are still using pop3 from go daddy. I'm getting ready to migrate us to exchange. We have SBS 2008. I'm almost ready to move the email to exchange. Just have to change the mx record on go daddy after everything is set.

I have already setup the exchange mailboxes and the shared mailbox we use and added the accounts on everyones desktop and laptops. They can send from these accounts, just cant recieve until I change the mx record.

Our VP uses alot of pst's. He probably has 30 of them on his laptop. Our company is very email intense. We handle oil tankers that come into the port of Houston. He sometimes will create a pst just for one ship so he can make sure to pay extra attention to those emails.

Comment

The Office ADMs are available from the Microsoft download site, you'll need the ones for whichever version(s) of Office you have. How to disable auto-archiving varies between versions too, but it's easy to find on for your version.

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...ormation-store gives details on migrating the PSTs in. I would mention to your VP that PSTs won't be getting backed up as Exchange email would do, so anything he has in a PST will be lost if his machine dies. That should convince him, and he can create subfolders under his inbox if he likes to file things seperately.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
        X