How to create a shared global address book

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a shared global address book

I have exchange 2007 running on Server 2010 64 bit and I want to either enable the global address book to be added to by my employees or how to create additional address books that everyone in my org can access and add to.

Re: How to create a shared global address book

the global address list is built based on information within active directory. you don't want users adding stuff to this all higgeldy piggeldy.

there are a couple of ways to acheive your aim.
    the first would be to use a public folder configured as contacts

the other way would be to create an ou called Contacts. THen delegate permission to that OU to all users, so they can create and manage objects within that OU.
    There's an additional step that then nees to be configured to allow users to create objects within the GAL without giving them AD Access though I think.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      the global address list is built based on information within active directory. you don't want users adding stuff to this all higgeldy piggeldy.

there are a couple of ways to acheive your aim.
      the first would be to use a public folder configured as contacts

the other way would be to create an ou called Contacts. THen delegate permission to that OU to all users, so they can create and manage objects within that OU.
      There's an additional step that then nees to be configured to allow users to create objects within the GAL without giving them AD Access though I think.
      Nope. Using the delegation wizard you can assign permissions to "domain users" or "authenticated users" to create, modify and delete contact objects.

However, I totally agree with tehcamel - you should definitely go with shared public folder configured as contacts holder. Also, IMHO it's not a good idea to give everyone permissions to add objects to the phonebook. In our company, each department has a delegate that is responsible for such stuff. This way only he can change things and you can be sure that no one will create an entry such as a$$-0 or another joke.
      Regards,
      Leonid

MCSE 2003, MCITP EA, VCP4.

Comment

i was essentially saying to delegate authority to create contacts within the OU

I'd also have to agree with you - have some identified users that are authorised to create contacts. team leaders or something maybe
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          i was essentially saying to delegate authority to create contacts within the OU

I'd also have to agree with you - have some identified users that are authorised to create contacts. team leaders or something maybe
          I misunderstood your first post, hence the out-of-context answer

Anyhow, think of the end user experience: if you give them privileges to create contacts, they will have to use ADUC; in the "public folder" scenario - they use their own outlook; much more intuitive. And secure!
          Regards,
          Leonid

Comment

I have a recollection of doing some research in my old job to allow people to update the gal directly through outlook, iirc, it was possible, i just couldn't make it work.

Comment

I did a test with exchange 2003 and an Exchange admin user. Started outlook and selected the GAL; gets me nowhere - can't create entries there. So, even if possible - don't know if is, probably only for edit existing entries.
              Use the deamn public foder!
              Regards,
              Leonid

Comment

Working...
              X