Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

70-236 clarification (ie, why do we necessarily need CAS?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70-236 clarification (ie, why do we necessarily need CAS?)

Ok - this is probably a silly question. I'm watching CBT nuggets for the 70-236 exam, and i'm right near the start where he's discussing all the separate roles.

Specifically, he's said mailboxes are stored on the mbx server, mail is routed via the hub/transport or edgetransport servers.

He then goes on to talk about CAS, and says "with outlook, you can just connect directly to the mailbox" - however people with OMA/OA/OWA ETc need CAS To connect. I get this - I understand it, the CAS role presents a whole heap of IIS based front end stuff, all well and good.

However - if Outlook CAN in fact, directly connect to the mailbox server, without the need for the CAS, then surely if I knew my environment had no need, and would never have a need, for the CAS Role, i should be able to get away without installing it?

now i know that you definitely must have a CAS server, and you can just install them on the same server, no big deal, my question is mainly semantics - if it's not absolutely essential to connect to the mailbox, then why is it so necessary?

Are there other functions CAS handles that the training material (Admittedly, second chapter here) haven't covered yet ?

Is my question just stupid?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: 70-236 clarification (ie, why do we necessarily need CAS?)

Hi,

Check this out. Basically the article talks about outlook 2007 clients doing auto discover only on the strength of CAS server role. so where it comes in picture. In either version like E2K3 and OL2K3 we simply install exchange BE server and we are ready to go with FE server. However E2K7 has been step in role based model. However you may like to build a lab setup a cas on different box and mailbox and HT on separate box, may be together, Shutdown cas
    then try to configure OL2K3 client and verify what the trainer meant.

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com...erver-CAS-role
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

thanks mate, will look through it
      Last edited by tehcamel; 13th November 2010, 00:26.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        Ok - this is probably a silly question. I'm watching CBT nuggets for the 70-236 exam, and i'm right near the start where he's discussing all the separate roles.

Specifically, he's said mailboxes are stored on the mbx server, mail is routed via the hub/transport or edgetransport servers.

He then goes on to talk about CAS, and says "with outlook, you can just connect directly to the mailbox" - however people with OMA/OA/OWA ETc need CAS To connect. I get this - I understand it, the CAS role presents a whole heap of IIS based front end stuff, all well and good.

However - if Outlook CAN in fact, directly connect to the mailbox server, without the need for the CAS, then surely if I knew my environment had no need, and would never have a need, for the CAS Role, i should be able to get away without installing it?

now i know that you definitely must have a CAS server, and you can just install them on the same server, no big deal, my question is mainly semantics - if it's not absolutely essential to connect to the mailbox, then why is it so necessary?

Are there other functions CAS handles that the training material (Admittedly, second chapter here) haven't covered yet ?

Is my question just stupid?
        The CAS stores the OAB for Outlook 2007 clients. If your environment is pure Outlook 2003 then you would need to mount a PF to do the same job.
        Additionally you need the CAS for Auto discover for your MAPI clients.
        Interestingly though the Exchange 2010 CAS role is very different to Exchange 2007. ALL clients connect to the CAS in Exchange 2010 and not to MBX servers for MAPI clients.

Comment

thank you both fellows - you've helped clear it up for me

Comment

Working...
          X