Single user unable to auto-forward/auto-redirect to external address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single user unable to auto-forward/auto-redirect to external address

We have a single user (me) that is unable to use Outlook 2016 rules to automatically forward or redirect mails outside of the company. I can auto-forward and auto-redirect email internally.

We have only one remote domain set up and it allows automatic fowarding. I have no transport rules in place to stop it from happening for me. We did set up some transport rules to prevent auto-forwarding and auto-redirect for specific groups of users but I'm not a member of any of those. I deleted and recreated my rules in Outlook. I deleted and recreated my Outlook profile on the client workstation. I ran a repair installation on Outlook. I tried creating the rules in OWA. I ran a check against my mailbox for corruption - there was none. I also compared a get-mailbox | FL against a user that is able to auto-forward/auto-redirect and besides the obvious account differences they're identical. I looked at my properties in ADSIedit and nothing jumps out at me. We have a spam filter in the DMZ that has message tracking but it doesn't look like the email is even getting to that point. Sounds to me like it's a server side thing, but I'm at a loss where to go from here troubleshooting this issue. Will welcome any thoughts or insights on where to look or how to fix.

Can you tell us a bit more about the Exchange environment (version, on prem or cloud....)

Have you tried creating a mail contact for the external address and forwarding to that?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Running Exchange 2010 SP3 UR21 on prem. 2 CAS/HUB servers, 2 mailbox, 1 with all 3 roles, 3-node DAG.

Yes, I tried creating a contact and it didn't work either. However, if I create a Transport Rule in Exchange it does work (except for emails marked with high importance".

Did a little more testing and when I do a Get-MessageTrackingLog and try to send using Outlook rules I get:
      EventId Source Sender Recipients MessageSubject
      RECEIVE AGENT myemailaddress.com theforwardingaddress.com Test
      DEFER AGENT myemailaddress.com theforwardingaddress.com Test
      TRANSFER ROUTING myemailaddress.com theforwardingaddress.com Test
      SEND SMTP myemailaddress.com theforwardingaddress.com Test

When it's sent using the transport rule I basically get:
      RECEIVE SMTP myemailaddress.com theforwardingaddress.com Test
      SEND SMTP myemailaddress.com theforwardingaddress.com Test

Comment

Working...
      X