Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OAB problem, not downloading to Outlook clients.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OAB problem, not downloading to Outlook clients.

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on this problem. I am really struggling on how to resolve this.

We did a transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007 back in August 2009 and whilst 99% of our users use OWA2007, users were able to see the global address list but recently and since we have upgraded to office 2010 some of our users who want to use the Outlook 2010 client are not able to see the address list. These clients have been setup with cached mode enabled btw.

In fact it seems that no OAB exists on the server. On the Exchange server under program files, Exchange server, clientAccess, OAB. The folder is there but the contents are empty.

We have tested, if we turn off Cached mode on the client, the address book works because obviouslly its not using the OAB anymore and more likely the GAL.

When we look on the Exchange Server we have the following logs:

OALGen failed to read the objectGuid attribute from offline address book (OAB) object '/o=************/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address Book' in Active Direcotry. Please check security settings on this object. OAB generation will not be performed.

OALGen encountered error ffffffff while initializing the offline address list generation process. No offline address lists have been generated. Please check the event log for more information. - /o=**********/cn=addrlists/cn=oabs/cn=Default Offline Address Book

All I want to do is recreate the folders in the OAB because I think that will resolve the issue.

I have had a look at our our AD and that is fine. We have 2 X 2008 Domain controllers and I have ran DCDIAG and it has passed all tests.

Has anyone seen this? Can anyone help? I am sure the problem must have come from when we did the transition from Exchange 2003 to 2007.

Thank you

Re: OAB problem, not downloading to Outlook clients.

If I had to do a guess I would say you forgot to migrate the OAB from Exchange 2003 to 2007.

Just create a new OAB for Exchange 2007, activate webdistribution and configure your mailbox databases to use this new OAB instead of the old one.

Alternativ you can configure Outlook in this way that it not wants to download and use the OAB even while using cached mode, but this makes only sense when the client is complete in the internal network.

Comment

Thank you for the reply.

If I disable Cached mode, am I likely to see poorer performance because its constantly has to talk to the Exchange server.

I think I know the answer to this but thought I would ask.

Comment

Originally posted by FischFra View Post
        If I had to do a guess I would say you forgot to migrate the OAB from Exchange 2003 to 2007.

Just create a new OAB for Exchange 2007, activate webdistribution and configure your mailbox databases to use this new OAB instead of the old one.

Alternativ you can configure Outlook in this way that it not wants to download and use the OAB even while using cached mode, but this makes only sense when the client is complete in the internal network.

Hi We have tried to recreate the OAB but then it doesnt appear for our clients, i think there is a problem with the exchange server trying to generate the OAB.

Comment

Turn the caching off for an Outlook client and see if it is available. You can manually download the OAB but in my experience, when new user accounts are downloaded, and Outlook is in cached mode, it can take a few days to come down despite a manual OAB download.

However, as the OAB issue now been resolved on the server? Check that all transition steps have been carried out. Was there a design or plan prior to the transition documenting the proposed steps?

Comment

Working...
          X