Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Server Mailbox Size reports dont tally with actual items.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Mailbox Size reports dont tally with actual items.

Hello I have an exchange 2007 server setup. I have set up mailbox quotas on some databases. I have a user who has exceeded his limit and has archived and even deleted some of the his mails. But the server still recognizes that he has almost 1GB of mails whereas his total items are just 33.
    A closer look in his mailbox reveals no such rule-driven folders are configured and his deleted items are empty.
    I tried to move his mailbox to another database on a whole new server but still shows up the same size of mails. I had to restart the server but it still shows up 1GB of mails, meanwhile the user has virtually nothing configured. Not even RSS feeds.
    Any help on this issue would be appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Server Mailbox Size reports dont tally with actual items.

Hi Try this command against the user in question and where are you seeing 1GB of emails
    Get-MailboxStatistics
    Thanks & Regards
    v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
    Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
    Independent IT Consultant and Architect
    Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I run that command earlier, Get-MailboxStatistics "username" | FL . And it gave out:

AssociatedItemCount : 32

[output cut]

TotalItemSize : 965652351B

Thus EMS also shows the same results, but the user virtually has nothing large in his mailbox.
      I mailbox archived his mails earlier, what can be done to purge this value, because I believe the Exchange server has not been updated since the last archive.
      Thanks

Comment

If its just one mailbox, and you have already archived all of it (tasks, calendars etc.) then just delete it (mail disable the user) and recreate.

How long have you given Exchange to update?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Normally deleting or removing exchange attributes causes emails for that particular user to be bouncing back to senders (undeliverable messages) in my exchange setup.
          I want to ask what is the right way to do that in Exchange 2007? Is it Disable or Remove.
          When you ask about exchange updating, is it address book updating?.
          Thanks.

Comment

Hi,

The this information will be updated by information store service. Try restarting the service but this will cause somedown time. Please thoroughly check the risk to your env before restarting MSExchangeIS service.
            http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx
            Thanks & Regards
            v-2nas

MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
            Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
            Independent IT Consultant and Architect
            Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

Comment

Working...
            X