Distinction between enabling the IMAP and emails from ISP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distinction between enabling the IMAP and emails from ISP

We have user mailboxes on Exchange 2007 (SBS 200. These are currently POP3 from our ISP. Currently the IMAP and POP3 services listed in the Services are Stopped. Am I right in thinking these services are only used for clients which need to retreive from the Exchange mailboxes and NOT for Exchange to retreive from the ISP?

My other query is in the mailboxes both IMAP and POP3 are enabled. I understand IMAP is the more modern method and will allow download from the ISP of ALL the folders e.g. sent mail as well as inbox. Should I use this, stop the POP3 and configure IMAP to erase all files it downloads?

Thanks.

Re: Distinction between enabling the IMAP and emails from ISP

Originally posted by happyhacker View Post
    We have user mailboxes on Exchange 2007 (SBS 200. These are currently POP3 from our ISP. Currently the IMAP and POP3 services listed in the Services are Stopped. Am I right in thinking these services are only used for clients which need to retreive from the Exchange mailboxes and NOT for Exchange to retreive from the ISP?

My other query is in the mailboxes both IMAP and POP3 are enabled. I understand IMAP is the more modern method and will allow download from the ISP of ALL the folders e.g. sent mail as well as inbox. Should I use this, stop the POP3 and configure IMAP to erase all files it downloads?

Thanks.
    Correct. Email should be delivered to your server using SMTP assuming you have the correct MX records in public DNS. Failing that you could use the native POP3 collector in SBS and have it delivered via POP3 but i would not recommend that as there are some for's and against's with that configuration.

There is no need to enable those services unless you specially want your users to be retrieving email via these legacy protocols. Users within your network should be using MAPI/Outlook to connect to Exchange. Even outside of your network they should be using OA (Outlook Anywhere) or OWA to connect as the user experience is far superior with these methods.

Remember though IMAP is essentially "online" email. The emails remain in the users mailbox on the server and when marked for deletion are deleted server side. POP3 on the other hand is "offline" storage of your mailbox. You download the emails and they are deleted from the source server (the usual default configuration) and managed on the local PC.
    Of the two protocols IMAP is better as a user's mailbox is available at all times from any source. That said judging by your scenario and the fact you are using Exchange you should have no use for either.

Comment

Re: Distinction between enabling the IMAP and emails from ISP

Moved to Exchange 2007 forum

IMHO though, don't use anything except SMTP to get emails -- I would be surprised if your ISP doesnt allow it
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X