Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Plan for AD and Exchange server 2016 setup

Deall all,

i am migrating my windows sbs server 2008 (ad and exchange server 2007) to windows server 2016. i would like to know the best plan for setup. my office have branches in india and usa.
    is it good to setup one ad and exchange server in india and one ad in usa.

could you please help me on exchage server redundancy plan
    Thanks in advance

We really need more information:
    Number of users (since it is SBS, I assume <75)
    Bandwidth between sites
    Amount of inter-site email
    Mail store size at the moment
    (Probably a lot more but those are good starters

IMHO (unless poor connection between sites) one AD spanning all sites, with DCs at each
    As far as Exchange goes, for redundancy you need a DAG and unless you have very fast inter-site links, it will have to be in a single site, so to have Exchange in both sites would require four servers. IMHO put Exchange in the site with most users, or if that is nearly equal, the best connectivity.

A consultant might be a good idea!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You may also want to consider using Office 365 (Exchange Online). That would get you a lot with no infrastructure or configuration to worry about on the Exchange side.

But I agree with Ossian, a consultant would be a good idea to make sure you're getting the best setup for your org.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Ossian presently 70 users are there. mailbox size is 2gb. and i have my present domain name like abcd-efg.local mail server domain like abcd.com.
        jeremy i have suggested office 365 to my management but they are not accepting to do that. they want exchange and DC setup should in office premises. and also if i ask for consultant they will fire me. i need to do it myself. i am still in a position with no clear idea for migration

Kindly please help me. i hope you will guide me on this

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that. It is unrealistic for a company (especially of your size) to have that kind of knowledge internally. Consultants will do migrations hundreds of times whereas internal employees will do a specific migration once.
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I concur with Jeremy - very shortsighted management.

We can help you to a certain extent, but without access to your systems, all answers will be general rather than specific

I think there is another thread where I suggest you consider a fresh start (SBS is near its limits). If not, you will need to do a two step migration
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i would like to fresh start with windows server 2016. could you please help me what are the prerequisites i need to do. taking mailbox data pst...etc

Comment

most of the users using linux machines, they are using Thunderbird mail client for emails. if i taken pst from exchange server how do i import after upgrade to 2016. please help

Comment

You can't upgrade from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2016. You would need to upgrade to Exchange 2010 or Exchange 2013, then you can upgrade to Exchange 2016. Now I agree with the earlier posts about getting some assistance on the upgrade/migration, since contractors do this all the time. But here is a link that will get you pointed in the right direction. I myself have installed Exchange 2007 and migrated old inboxes from Lotus Notes to Exchange, then years later used a Contractor to help me upgrade from Exchange 2007 to 2013. But your best bet would be Office 365, on premise Exchange servers are a job in itself.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...xchg.150).aspx

Comment

I'll do you one better on the instructions
                    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../dn756393.aspx

Should give you pretty detailed instructions for various scenarios. But I will say that there has never been a migration that I've done where this covered all the bases.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                    X