Need help uninstalling Exchange 2010 but keeping AD accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help uninstalling Exchange 2010 but keeping AD accounts

My boss told me a few months ago to install Exchange 2010 in our production environment and get it ready. I have it all setup and now we have decided to go with a different solution.

I have integrated all our production AD accounts with mailboxes. I need to remove exchange completely, but keep the AD accounts.

I don't care about the server. The server isn't a DC, just a server 2008 box with nothing on it but exchange. I plan on wiping it after. I just want exchange gone without it deleting our AD accounts.

If I go to programs and simply uninstall, will it delete the mailboxes along with the AD accounts?

Re: Need help uninstalling Exchange 2010 but keeping AD accounts

A proper uninstall of Exchange will mail disable the accounts but leave them in AD
    (If you are paraniod, take a DC off line first, just in case)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I just tried to uninstall from add remove programs and got an error related to mailboxes being enabled. I assume I have to disable them all first and run it again.

I found the command to do this but it looks like I can also do it straight from the EMC by highlighting all, right clicking and selecting disable. After doing that I assume it will work.

I just want to make SURE it will not remove the AD accounts.

Comment

nope, won't remove the AD accounts.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you choose to delete the mailbox, then it will remove the AD accounts as well.
          If you choose to disable the mailbox, then the AD account should be left in place.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi all,

I started the uninstall process yesterday. I disabled all the mailboxes and went along with the uninstall. I ran into another problem with a backup exec agent being enabled, so I disabled that and tried again.

Now I'm having problems with removing the public folder database. This is the error I'm getting:

The public folder database 'Public Folder Database 0522943233' cannot be deleted.

Public Folder Database 0522943233
            Failed
            Error:
            The public folder database "Public Folder Database 0522943233" contains folder replicas. Before deleting the public folder database, remove the folders or move the replicas to another public folder database. For detailed instructions about how to remove a public folder database, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...09&clcid=0x409.

How do I delete the replicas? I can't believe it's this difficult to uninstall a program...

Comment

It isn't difficult at all at least if you know how to do it. The check if still data are there before deleting is more to save people from accidentally delete important information.

You have to check what public folders are there and still does have replicas on the server, and delete them. You can do this while using Public Folder Management Console or powershell.

Comment

I don't know how to do it, which is why I'm asking on this forum...

You can't delete the public folders until you delete the replicas according to this microsoft website:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...HG.140%29.aspx

" Step 2: Remove all public folders from the public folder database
                You can't delete a public folder database that contains data. To remove data from a public folder database, delete any unnecessary public folders. For detailed instructions about how to remove all the public folders in a public folder database, see Remove Multiple Public Folders from a Public Folder Database.

Step 3: Remove the last public folder database
                Note: If you successfully perform Step 1 and Step 2 and you receive an error message stating that the public folder database can't be removed because it contains replicas, repeat Step 2 of the procedure Remove Multiple Public Folders from a Public Folder Database. In addition, you can verify that all public folders have been removed by running the Get-PublicFolderStatistics cmdlet. For more information about this cmdlet, see Get-PublicFolderStatistics"

I am getting the error in the note. This article refers to another article that tells you to run a MoveAllReplicas.ps1 script. The script wants a destination server however... I don't have another destination as I'm uninstalling Exchange completely.

Comment

Originally posted by edwimb View Post
                  I don't know how to do it, which is why I'm asking on this forum...

You can't delete the public folders until you delete the replicas according to this microsoft website:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...HG.140%29.aspx

" Step 2: Remove all public folders from the public folder database
                  You can't delete a public folder database that contains data. To remove data from a public folder database, delete any unnecessary public folders. For detailed instructions about how to remove all the public folders in a public folder database, see Remove Multiple Public Folders from a Public Folder Database.

Step 3: Remove the last public folder database
                  Note: If you successfully perform Step 1 and Step 2 and you receive an error message stating that the public folder database can't be removed because it contains replicas, repeat Step 2 of the procedure Remove Multiple Public Folders from a Public Folder Database. In addition, you can verify that all public folders have been removed by running the Get-PublicFolderStatistics cmdlet. For more information about this cmdlet, see Get-PublicFolderStatistics"

I am getting the error in the note. This article refers to another article that tells you to run a MoveAllReplicas.ps1 script. The script wants a destination server however... I don't have another destination as I'm uninstalling Exchange completely.
                  Hmm, yes you just posted all the information you need on how to do it. It's all in the linked article, just look at the section on how to remove the last public folder database of the organisation.

Comment

Telling me to do what I have already read and tried doesn't help me.

Again, can't remove the database until the replicas are moved, can't move the replicas as there is no other server to move them to.

I'd like to hear from someone else FischFra.

Comment

Have you deleted all the PFs?
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

When I open the Public Folder Management console there is nothing under default public folders.

There is a section under that called system public folders. I have eforms registry, offline address book, and schedule + free busy under that.

Comment

So you will need to remove them too.
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Yeah, I kinda figured that. You helped me so much by telling me to remove them and not explaing how. That's exactly what I needed, thanks! Next time can you be more vague though? I like that, it helps a lot.

Right clicking and hitting removing wasn't working. I dug around and ran these commands which did the trick:

Get-PublicFolder -Server <server containing the public folder database> "\" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server <server containing the public folder database> -Recurse -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue

Get-PublicFolder -Server <server containing the public folder database> "\Non_Ipm_Subtree" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server <server containing the public folder database> -Recurse -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue

After doing that I was able to remove the Public Folder database. Now the Mailbox database is in there and refuses to uninstall. Gives this error:

Summary: 5 item(s). 1 succeeded, 1 failed.
                            Elapsed time: 00:00:11

Configuring Prerequisites
                            Completed

Elapsed Time: 00:00:00

Mailbox Role Prerequisites
                            Failed

Error:
                            Uninstall cannot continue. Database 'Mailbox Database 1385653290': This mailbox database contains one or more mailboxes, mailbox plans, archive mailboxes, or arbitration mailboxes. To get a list of all mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID>. To get a list of all mailbox plans in this database, run the command Get-MailboxPlan. To get a list of archive mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Archive. To get a list of all arbitration mailboxes in this database, run the command Get-Mailbox -Database <Database ID> -Arbitration. To disable a non-arbitration mailbox so that you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID>. To disable an archive mailbox so you can delete the mailbox database, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Archive. Arbitration mailboxes should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command New-MoveRequest <parameters>. If this is the last server in the organization, run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed to disable the arbitration mailbox. Mailbox plans should be moved to another server; to do this, run the command Set-MailboxPlan <MailboxPlan ID> -Database <Database ID>.
                            Click here for help... http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?link...1-5c9e8ab3cfe9

Elapsed Time: 00:00:07

Client Access Role Prerequisites

Elapsed Time: 00:00:03

Hub Transport Role Prerequisites
                            Pending

Organization Prerequisites
                            Pending

Comment

For anyone that stumbles upon this, I was able to resolve the last issue by disabling the arbitration mailboxes. They don't show up by default, have to run a special -arbitration command. Get-mailbox will come up blank even though they exist...

http://markswinkels.nl/2009/05/19/ex...lbox-database/

Follow this article but replace "move-mailbox" with "disable-mailbox".

There will be one mailbox you can't disable. Once you get to the last one you have to run the command Disable-Mailbox <Mailbox ID> -Arbitration -DisableLastArbitrationMailboxAllowed. This command will only work if all other mailboxes have been disabled.

Once you disable them all, close everything and go to add/remove programs and uninstall exchange.

Comment

Working...
                              X