Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of a dead exchange server from a live exchange environment

Hello,

We had an exchange 2013 server in production that fell over and became unusable. MS guidance was to build a new exchange server and re-home the databases to the new server. That was all done and everything is working properly.

However, we are trying to clean up the environment and want to remove the old server from exchange so there are no references. Please note that the old exchange server is on but no services are running.

Running exchange uninstall from control panel does not work as there are arbitration mailboxes running on the old server but the old databases no longer exist. I am trying to determine the right way to remove this server without breaking the live exchange server or live email environment which is fine.

It does not allow me to move the arbitration mailboxes from the server since they don;t exist. I can;t disable them either and I can;t delete the databases since it complains about arbitration mailboxes.

So I have a good exchange server with all the roles, CAS and mailbox databases
    and I have a "dead" one that has exchange installed but no services running and no databases mounted.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Have you tried a repair install of Exchange on the bad server to re-set up the databases, then move the mailboxes and uninstall Exchange - that is the recommended approach
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks,
      I'm assuming that would not affect the new live server that has the mail databases in any way?

Comment

NO, it should have no effects on other servers (never has for me) but obviously a good idea to have backups "just in case"
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I was able to create the arbitration mailboxes on the new server by deleting them in AD and re-running setup /adprep and then mail enabling them.
          I was then able to uninstall the exchange server from control panel with no issue.

However, now I am having an issue with OAB - i re-created it and I can see it when I query it in powershell but if I try to download it from an Outlook client - it just says send / receive but does not do anything. I don;t get an error either?

Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
          X