X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2010 RTM to SP3 Upgrade

Hi all

Long story short i have taken on a crap environment

We are looking to upgrade our Exchange 2010 rtm server to sp3 so we can start a hybrid environment.
    However heres the kicker i have 9GB of space on the C drive where exchange is residing (please note this doesn't hold logs or DB these are separate NetApp LUNS)
    I cant increase the size of the disk as its a hyper-v differencing disk and the parent has been deployed to various vm's

So does anyone have any idea how much space installing sp3 will take on my C drive, I'm assuming a few GB but cant find out anywhere how much.

Thanks

Not sure about the space requirements for install, but 9Gb seems ample
    A fully patched install (no databases and log files) on Server 2008R2 is a bit under 5Gb if that helps
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian... appreciate that

I guess my other thought is I have two 2010 rtm exchange servers. One is hub/cas and the other is for mailboxes. Could I create a new exchange server install 2010 sp3 patch it use it for another mailbox server and have mail flow between the three servers on different service packs?

Comment

As I remember, it is not recommended - all Exchange services should be patched to the same level as soon as possible.
        Could you commission new SP0 servers on more storage, move everything to them and decommission the old ones before patching?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian ..... i know its not recommended but is it possible ?
          In essence it would be great if i could build a server with sp3 on move mailboxes and then I am in position to start a hybrid environment ready for office 365/hosted exchange

Comment

Working...
          X