X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox Migration

Hello,

The environment:

SBS 2011 - DC + Exchange 2010 (Old Server)

Windows 2012 R2 - DC + Exchange 2016 (New server)

15 Mailboxes (The DB is about 50G)

Since we want to move to the new server, What is the best way to migrate mailboxes between exchange 2010 and 2016? Pay attention that there are two Domain controllers with two seperate forests while after the migration the old server with the exchange 2010 will be removed.

Another question regarding the new server, i read that it's not recommended to install exchange 2016 on the same domain controller machine, but since it's a small company with 15 users and there is enough resources on the server (quad core + 24G ram) , will it be ok to work such way? Of course, i will write a script to shutdown the exchange services before shutting down the OS.

Second point first:
    Regardless of machine specs, it is NOT a good idea to put Exchange on the DC - mainly because unpromoting the DC WILL break Exchange, and if another DC exists, Exchange wont use it. Best option is to have to VMs on the physical hardware (your OS license will allow this) with a separate DC and Exchange VM. That will future proof you.

First point - given the small database size and number of mailboxes, consider export to PST, then re-import as the simplest and least administrative effort solution
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian,

I also thought to export to PST and then re-import, so probably that's what i will do.

Regarding the Second point, By assuming that there is no intent unpromoting the DC and there won't be another DC, is there something else that i need to consider?
      The new server is already installed (currently without the exchange), so the other option is to run hyper-v machine for the exchange.

Comment

At the moment there may not be another DC, but in the future....
        If the server is already a DC, again not best practice to add HyperV to it, but you can
        I would then:
        Install HyperV on DC
        Create new Virtual DC and join to domain / DCPromo
        Unpromo HyperV host to normal server
        Create new Virtual Exchange Server
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X