Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox Export Tracking

Hello,

I have a user who recently changed organizations. At their old company, they exported their mailbox from Outlook and then imported it into Outlook at the new company. Even though this behaviour and even necessary according to industry regulations, they are worried that someone at the old company might find that they did this and be upset or angry about it. I don't know much about the company they came from (like whether they were using an in-house exchange server or Microsoft cloud services), but how possible/likely is it that IT personnel at the old company would be able to access a log, record, or metadata that shows that the mailbox was exported?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

There is really not enough information to answer the question but yes, almost certainly it could be logged (creation of PST file, copying to another device on the local machine). If I knew someone was leaving and was asked to audit their activity, I would certainly enable such auditing on their local machine and on file servers

Despite what you say about "necessary according to industry regulations", taking a copy of emails to another job is (IMHO) unethical and could well be illegal in certain countries - emails on a corporate system are NOT the property of an individual and should not be copied / destroyed without consent of the organisation to which they were sent.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
    X