No announcement yet.

Evend id 12018 Certificate Expired

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evend id 12018 Certificate Expired

Please excuse my lack of knowledge of Exchange 2007. Originally exchange 2007 was set up a couple of years ago by a third party.

I have noticed that recently I have been getting event id 12018 and 12017 errors in my apps log on my Exchange 2007 server. I followed the instructions from Microsoft and created a self signed certificate. The problem being I am still getting the errors in the log.

On further investigations I realised that the certificate that is currently in use was created using a CA authority on our Domain Controller. So when I tried to enable the certificate for SMTP it told me that the certificate that is due to expire takes precedence. When I go into the exchange shell and type Get-ExchangeCertificate |fl I can still only see the one that is due to expire. When I use OWA it is using the certificate I created. In IIS the self signed certificate is the one it is using as well.

What I want to know is when the original certificate expires, will I stop getting the errors in the application log?
    Last edited by Sembee; 8th October 2010, 15:59. Reason: Formatting Correction

Re: Evend id 12018 Certificate Expired

The errors in the event log will only stop when the expired certificate is removed. All the time it is on the server it will continue to cause errors. You will need to remove that certificate from Exchange using the remove-exchangecertificate command.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: Evend id 12018 Certificate Expired

Thats great, thanks very much