Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Email to particular users in domain bounce back (Cannot be delivered)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email to particular users in domain bounce back (Cannot be delivered)

Hello, I am running Exchange 2007. Recently a handful of users on different databases complained of not being able to send mails to some users from their outlook client. Apparently some users are able to send to them and some aren't.

I have checked everything, the mailbox databases are mounted. They haven't exceeded their quota limit. There hasn't been any transport rule too configured.

But when the intended recipient sends them a mail and they Reply on that message it gets delivered. The problem is when they initiate a New Mail to them.

What could be the issue?. Thank you.

Re: Email to particular users in domain bounce back (Cannot be delivered)

what's the error code they get?

I would assume, if a user is initiating the email, they are typing the address by hand - possibly incorrectly.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

The error I receive is: Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
      [email protected] (internal address)
      The recipient's e-mail address was not found in the recipient's e-mail system. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please check the e-mail address and try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.

The fact is that, the email address exists in the domain, and other users are able to send but some users get this when sending to some particular people.

Comment

Well, if the recipient address definitely exists, and the problem is only occuring for users who are typing the address in manually, that represents a problem with either the user, or the user configuration.

1. train your users to use the GAL.
        2. ensure there are no locally cached entries in each outlook. you can do this by getting the user to open a new email, typing in part of the name of the recipient, then when the dropdown box appears with selections, hit the delete key for each one. (Antoher way could be to destroy the profile and start again)
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the reply, most of the users I have use GAL for address lookups.
          We tried deleting the cached name earlier but it returned the same error. We also did some address lookups from the GAL but to no avail.

The last troubleshooting step is what we haven't tried yet, that's to recreate the Outlook Profile all over again.

Would get back when that's done.

Thanks.

Comment

One further clarification. Please what do you mean by "destroy" the profile? Is it to DELETE the old profile from (Mail 32-Bit).

Another question is does this affect the client side Rules the user has configured?. I believe the custom folders would still be there but the Rules are what I am not so certain about.
            Thanks.

Comment

Yea, by 'destroy' I mean delete the Outlook profile.
              Or at least, create a new one while not deleting the old one. No point deleting the old one if the new one doesn't resolve the issue.

Yes, a new outlook profile will remove any rules that are saved on the client side but not the server side. some may be stored on the server IIRC.
              THat's why as I said above - don't delete the old profile, just create a new one and test it out.

THe fact that they can look up the address from the GAL and send an email and have it fail is interesting, when other users can perform the same option and have it work.

Comment

Okay thanks for your update. For the users who can't send even using the client side GAL; I believe its as a result of a server error.

We had an Exchange 2003 server which we configured to be the Offline Address Book Generating Server. But we had a problem with that server, all the critical services were up apart from the Information Store.

Thus we took control from the Exch 2003 generating server and gave it to the Exchange 2007 server.
                For sometime some address look ups have been failing even if we update the list, on EMC. When outlooks clients try to make telephone numbers lookups (using More Columns) nothing comes up.

Could all these email bounce back problems come from this Address Book Generating servers? If yes how do I take PROPER control from the older Exchange 2003 server?..

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X