Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Content Index State - Crawling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Content Index State - Crawling

    So here's my story... Last week, I deleted a lot of old, stale email accounts that were taking up space (probably over 100, close to 200). Friday at around 10:00am, I noticed email started dragging it's hind end. Then we started getting delayed delivery notifications. I checked all of my mailbox database servers and the servers were pinged out at between 90% to 98% memory usage with noderunner and Microsoft.Exchange.Store.Worker leading the charge on the RAM assault.

    So indexing was likely my problem, which makes sense since I removed so many mailboxes. The databases were all mounted and the content state was healthy. What didn't make sense was the fact it waited 2 days to start acting up. Anyway, I let it run for about 12 hours and then bounced my mailbox database servers.That improved mail flow dramatically... until today.

    Today, at around 4:00pm, I noticed mail start dragging again. I checked my databases and all were mounted but only two of the four were healthy. The other two were listed as "unknown" and "crawling". So, I went into the two bad mailbox servers, stopped the Exchange Search Host and the Exchange Search Host Controller. I index folder out of the proper place and restarted the services on both servers.

    Mail has "seemingly" begun to flow normally. I say "seemingly" because it's 9pm where I live and most everyone is not emailing right now.

    The Content Index State is listed for both servers as "Crawling". There are 4 db's on one server and 2 db's on the other.

    I can't find much on the web as to what to do to change that, if anything.

    I have a rather large organization and I know this will probably take time but I'm looking for some insight as to where i sit with these things. This is the first time I've seen "crawling" as opposed to "Failed".
    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

    Thanks,
    Todd

  • #2
    So, I haven't had much time to do any more searching on the whole "Crawling" Content Index State, but I did notice that 3 of the 6 DB's are back to Healthy after Crawling all night which is encouraging. What isn't encouraging and what makes me want to go play in traffic is that one of my remaining 3 databases went to failed...



    I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

    Thanks,
    Todd

    Comment


    • #3
      So part of my problem is that June 3rd was the last time I had gotten a good full back up, everything had been failing due to no space on my NAS. Why didn't I get a notification? Well, that's what you get when you buy junky NAS devices... Anyway, I finally got a good, full backup Thursday (It look 26 hours to do a full backup). My Exchange environment has some large mailboxes in there.

      I think that my problem was/is two-fold; One being backups not working and backup jobs running and not being able to process/complete due to space issues and TWO, sheer size of my databases. I have two that are over 500GB (I know that they should be under 250 per Microsoft, I'm working on that!).

      So, I'm getting my backups in Thursday and last night (Friday) and then I'll be back on my normal schedule. Once that happens, I'll see how my DB's react, they should all go back to healthy, The good thing is that now my "Crawling" DB's are limited to one server...

      I'd rather check my Facebook than face my checkbook...

      Thanks,
      Todd

      Comment

      Working...
      X