No announcement yet.

Decommissioning one of two exchange 2013 servers

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decommissioning one of two exchange 2013 servers

I have an environment with two exchange 2013 servers - originally I had a single exchange server running all roles and then I installed a second exchange server with a view to moving everything over to it temporarily.

I have fixed the original problem and therefor no longer require the second, and temporary, exchange server.

I have migrated all mailboxes to the original exchange server but when I turn that server off, some users report that outlook will not open, stating that it cannot contact the server.

I just want to understand why this is the case when there are no mailboxes on that second exchange server and secondly what is the correct procedure from decommissioning that second server?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Have a bit more info now -

Both exchange servers (lets call them server1 and server2) have the mailbox role and the client access role installed. So I am guessing that because client access role is installed on both, outlook just tries connecting to either server?

I just dont know whether its safe to uninstall exchange from server2 - how can I confirm this?

I know for certain there are no mailboxes left on server2, but I am not sure if it is as simple as uninstalling exchange now, or if there are other things that need to be checked first? Any help much appreciated.
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

If you don't have a CAS array, Outlook will remember which server it connected to - try a profile repair in Outlook. If that works, you should be good to uninstall (IIRC you cannot do so if any vital component remains on the server)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **