Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database copies Exchange 2010

Hi,

Can someone tell me if it's possible to host copies(for redundancy) of Exchange 2010 mailbox databases on the same server.

EG. one single ML350 G6(OS will be on other disks) with 4 * 7200 rpm 500gb disk all setup as jbod for database storage. Then 4 mailbox databases and store each mailbox database on 1 each of the disks, so

database1 is on disk 1
    database2 is on disk 2
    database3 is on disk 3
    database4 is on disk 4

Am I able to on this single server make database copies of the database on the other JBOD disks for redundancy. EG database1 has a copy on disk 2 database2 has a copy on disk 3 etc etc.

database1 is on disk 2
    database2 is on disk 3
    database3 is on disk 4
    database4 is on disk 1

Therefore if a single JBOD disk in this server fails I will have a passive copy ready to take over.

Everything I have read so far all seems to point to a DAG with 2 or more servers.

Regards
    Mark Jones

Not in Exchange 2010 - the high availability method is DAGs between 2 or more separate boxes
    If the capacity is sufficient, consider converting your JBOD into a RAID 10 array (1000Gb capacity, but very good performance and tolerates 2 drive failures*

* as long as it is the right 2 drives
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

I'm glad you answered me question(and very quickly).... Thank you very much

Comment

Hi

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track with regards to Exchange(2010) HA. A customer already has Exchange 2010 running... 1 CAS/HT and 1 MBX in HQ. Can I add another CAS/HT and MBX in another site(sites are already active directory connected sites and services etc) to give "SITE RESILIENCE"

Using a DAG over 2 MBX servers one in each site to protect exchange databases. Then setup CAS/HT for HA between the same 2 sites. The 2 sites will probably be connected via at least 100Mbps or maybe 200Mbps leased depending on price.

My main though is if HQ goes down, the customer can continue email function due to HA setup of DAG and CAS(possible CASARRAY).

Regards
        Mark

Comment

Do some research into "Cross Site DAGs"
          You can do it, but there are some extra hoops to jump through
          Having said that, 100MBPS probably would allow you to treat both locations as a single site in AD terms
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi.

Thank for the reply.

Regards
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X