Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2013 On premise set MessageRateLimit for User has no effect.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2013 On premise set MessageRateLimit for User has no effect.

Hi

Pulling my hair out over this one, have a small Exchange 2013 Box running hosted exchange for about 7 organizations. I need to set a MessageRateLimit for sending for one mailbox. I have used the following commands:-

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name UPLimitPerMinute -MessageRateLimit 2
    Set-Mailbox -Identity user_alias -ThrottlingPolicy UPLimitPerMinute

both command execute without error, if I subsequently run the Set-Mailbox -Identity user_alias -ThrottlingPolicy UPLimitPerMinute it says that it has executed but no changes were made indicating the initial run of the command worked.

If I run Get-ThrottlingPolicy UPLimitPerMinute |fl *limit* it shows :-

MessageRateLimiit : 2
    RecipientRateLimit : Unlimited
    ForwardeeLimit : Unlimiited

If I run :-

GetThrottlingPolicyAssociation user_alias | select throttlingpolicyid

ThrottlingPolicyId
    ------------------
    UPLimitPerMinute

So all looks to be set correctly. I have restarted :- Transport Delivery, Transport Submission, RPC Client Access and Microsoft Exchange Throttling Services.

However the rate is never applied, if I use VBA to send 200 message they arrive within 3 minutes, If I use Outlook, the limit is not honoured as quick as I can type they arrive, also the same behaviour in OWA.

Any ideas as to why this is not working?

Regards

Matt

MessageRateLimit parameter is used to defer messages but it would not deny delivery , Messages are eventually delivered. You should set the RecipientLimit on the Mailbox.

Regards,
    Fazal
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

I am a little confused here surely Set-Mailbox -Identity user_alias -ThrottlingPolicy UPLimitPerMinute the 'user_alias' which I substitute with the true Mailbox Alias does exactly what you are saying in your reply.

Comment

Working...
      X