No announcement yet.

Migrating to Exchange 2013 with co-exsistance

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating to Exchange 2013 with co-exsistance

I'm looking to migrate from Exchange 2010 to 2013 and wanted to check with regards to name spaces and proxying from one exchange to the other. Am I ok to use the old name space with the new exchange server (in theory both exchange servers would have the same name space) and then slowly migrate from the 2010 server to 2013?

Also with regards to using the old SSL certificates can I use the old one and import it to Exchange2013?

I followed this guide:

Thanks, I'm at the stage where I am trying to migrate a test account. The problem with this is when I run the migration I get an error the user does not have a mailbox (its not the user I'm trying to migrate as they have a mailbox but I think it refers to the newly created migration account when ex2013 was installed). I checked and this account was disabled and doesn't have a mailbox - I get an error when I try and run the following commands:

Enable-Mailbox -Arbitration -Identity "Migration.8f3e7716-2011-43e4-96b1-aba62d229136"

Set-Mailbox "Migration.8f3e7716-2011-43e4-96b1-aba62d229136" -Arbitration –Management:$true

Cant remember what exactly the error is (which I understand doesn't help) but its something like this is an incorrect account type like mailuser

Has anyone had this?

Why are the accounts which are created when ex2013 installed disabled?

Managed to get this working by enabling the migration account and setting a password on it.

New problem - I cant get outlook clients connecting using anything but outlook anywhere and manually adding the server settings. Auto discovery seems to be ok and Ive setup the external and internal urls to match the exchange 2010 urls. This is fine isn't it? As I'm using the same certificate which was on the 2010 server (this was exported). 2010 will be in place until we're happy that 2013 is working properly.

Can any one offer and advice to overcome this outlook client connection issue? Thanks

Does the exported certificate have the correct names for the new server?
            Is there any conflict e.g. both servers offering autodiscover?

Have you run the checks at
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

All sorted thanks I exported the old certificate and renamed the external URL to match. Ex2010 is now proxying through 2013