removing exchange 2010 - need to keep mail attribute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing exchange 2010 - need to keep mail attribute

Long story short, we moved to Google Apps last summer. Kept exchange up for awhile just to cover ourselves. Now we're at the point where we want to free up the VM host resources. I've never done this before but from what I read I just need to remove all the user mailboxes, and including the arbitration mailboxes and then just uninstall from control panel. That's not the part I'm concerned about though.
    I've been doing some testing with disabling the accounts (because we still need the user objects in AD of course) but it also removes the mail attribute which is actually what GADS (Google apps directory sync) uses to pull in our users for their mailboxes on that side of things.
    Is it possible to do this without any down time? I understand I can export the mail attribute from my users and re-add them after the fact, but I would like to avoid anytime account downtime/disables on the google side if possible.
    Thanks for any insight!

I think if you convert your mailboxes to mail enabled users, you can then uninstall and still maintain the attribute.

Something like this:

Code:
    $mbxs = Get-Mailbox testuser

foreach ($mbx in $mbxs) {
        Disable-Mailbox -Id $mbx.Identity -Confirm:$False
        Enable-MailUser -Id $mbx.Identity -ExternalEmailAddress $($mbx.primarysmtpaddress)
        Set-MailUser -Id $mbx.Identity -EmailAddresses $mbx.emailaddresses
         }
    testuser is the name of a test account. Be sure to test this because I have not!

Once you verify it converts the user properly, you can then run this to convert all the mailboxes:

Code:
    $mbxs = Get-Mailbox

foreach ($mbx in $mbxs) {
        Disable-Mailbox -Id $mbx.Identity -Confirm:$False
        Enable-MailUser -Id $mbx.Identity -ExternalEmailAddress $($mbx.primarysmtpaddress)
        Set-MailUser -Id $mbx.Identity -EmailAddresses $mbx.emailaddresses
         }
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have been into a similar situation & from what I remember, uninstalling the last Exchange Server would not remove your User attribute-ProxyAddresses(That's the attribute we are concerned about) , nor its value. It would remove the Exchange attributes from AD. The ProxyAddresses is a part of AD & enabled when an Exchange schema prep is run, Can be enabled via ADSIEDIT as well.
      Fazal Zaidi
      MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

After lots of research and testing, I believe the best solution is to stop GADS sync, disable all the exchange boxes (AD accounts will lose the mail attribute) and then import the attributes back, like here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...50858#37350858

I appreciate the mail user idea, and I was able to get it working with some tweaking, but there were still some caveats with that approach (even disabling a mail user removes the mail attribute on the AD side). This process is just much smoother. Thanks again
        Last edited by fcsber; 20th May 2016, 17:09.

Comment

Working...
        X